Want to buy - for an earlier engine

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

aerokurt

Want to buy - for an earlier engine

Post by aerokurt »

Hi all,
I just picked up a long block from an 81 528i to build as an experiment.

Looking for an ignition distributor,
a pair of Bavaria intake manifolds,
a flywheel for manual trans
Anyone have any of these for sale?

This is for a project in Phoenix.
Anyone know where I may find more engines in Arizona?
Cheers Kurt
703-629-5878
I'm usually spending summers in northern Virginia
adam_torrence

Re: Want to buy - for an earlier engine

Post by adam_torrence »

I am in Southern California but I have a distributor and flywheel (4 speed) off A 1979 bmw 528i as well as a late model m30 intake if your interested I’m not sure what you mean by a pair of Bavaria intakes
1979 528i m30b34 5 speed swap project
1996 840ci
2001 325ci 5 speed
oo==[][]==00
aerokurt

Post by aerokurt »

Hi Adam,
Feel free to give me a call, please.
As for the Bavaria intakes, they used 2 downdraft 2 barrel carbs on those 6's until fuel injection arrived for the 3.0Si and 530i.
Cheers,
Kurt,
703-629-5878
autonoob

Post by autonoob »

Have you tried to check out online shops like 4wheelonline or eBay for those parts?
Check out this wheel and tire packages that are great for your vehicles at home but even better for your wallet!
aerokurt

Post by aerokurt »

Turns out that 4wheelonline is for trucks not our cars.
And if someone could educate me -
on ebay -
it would be nice to know how to pull up M30 engines without 100's of 21st century engines
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

I've found it best to search the part numbers on eBay. Most sellers involved with BMWs will provide these. You can then save your searches and have eBay email you when someone posts something that matches your search. Otherwise, the search results can be very noisy, as you're experiencing. eBay is also fairly expensive.

I also use picclick.com to search eBay, it's a bit faster to change the search string and see the results on a grid.

Another good tool is Searchtempest to search Craigslist. Searching BMW Bavaria should be pretty targeted for the manifolds, but you may need to wait awhile for them to show up. Lots of part outs posted to CL across the country. Adding the E-code of cars having the part you want in your search is effective as anyone parting out a BMW knows the nomenclature. I've been on the lookout for the rearview mirror with map lights from the E30, E32 and E28, and there are a lot of part outs for those models. E12s aren't as common, and Bavarias are much more rare but do show up.

I've used car-part.com to search for salvage inventories, but never had any luck using the email contacts. Calling the yards once you see they have what you want is the way to go. You'll probably have more hits in AZ than I have close to me in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, where rust has made E12s super-rare.

When you've given up waiting and want to bite the bullet and pay for shipping from Europe, there are a few old-timer parts houses there that have helped me. Classicbmwparts.nl is pretty good and can probably find anything not posted on the site. He does have E3 manifolds, but they're not cheap.

Good luck!
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
onovakind67

Post by onovakind67 »

Go to e9coupe.com and ask there. We have lots of parts like this for sale. I have a few sets of manifolds and carburetors and a box of distributors in my garage.
'72 3.5L 5-spd Bavarious - E3 with E12 front struts/brakes, E28 3.25 LSD rear axle, E39 wheels, Webers, etc, etc, etc...
onovakind67

Post by onovakind67 »

These just came up - not mine and no affiliation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E3-E9-Bava ... 3461441173
'72 3.5L 5-spd Bavarious - E3 with E12 front struts/brakes, E28 3.25 LSD rear axle, E39 wheels, Webers, etc, etc, etc...