7-digit VIN number??

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

SunshineViking

7-digit VIN number??

Post by SunshineViking »

Hello FirstFivers,

I have been searching all over for a clear answer/solution. I can only find 7 digits of my VIN, from what I’ve read the E12’s only have 7 digits? I was hoping to get the original build sheet but even the BMW dealership said they can’t help unless I have 17 characters...Is my pursuit to get the build sheet a lost cause or is there hope?

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

-Sunshine
1980 BMW 528i Automatic
1998 BMW 528i 5 Speed
toddness

Re: 7-digit VIN number??

Post by toddness »

I haven't used the service, but these folks may be able to help.

Look into the Vehicle Certificate section of the webpage below. This site is BMW affiliated, as I understand it.

https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/off ... enter.html
SunshineViking

Post by SunshineViking »

Thank you Toddness, I’ll give that a try!
1980 BMW 528i Automatic
1998 BMW 528i 5 Speed
keehn

Post by keehn »

Sunshine,

When you go to register, expect to require police verification. 7-digit VINs just don't exist anymore. For me, I just called my state police precinct, and a while later, a couple police came and inspected my car. You probably already know this, but our VINs are stamped on the passenger-side front fender, under the hood; be sure to let the police know this, as they have no clue where to look on our cars! :lol:

Mike
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

SunshineViking wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:08 pm Hello FirstFivers,

I have been searching all over for a clear answer/solution. I can only find 7 digits of my VIN, from what I’ve read the E12’s only have 7 digits? I was hoping to get the original build sheet but even the BMW dealership said they can’t help unless I have 17 characters...Is my pursuit to get the build sheet a lost cause or is there hope?

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

-Sunshine
Not sure about the earlier ones, but later model e12s have a 17 digit VIN stamped in the passenger side fender. BUT, these VINs were used before the world standard 17 digit VINs went into effect in 1981. Modern VINs are consistent throughout the world and contain information about country of origin, characteristics of the car (usually chassis or drivetrain related), model year, plant code and the unique vehicle identifier. These are the VINs your dealer is most familiar with. A good parts person can use your 7 digit VIN for reference, RealOEM certainly can and it will show the production month/year, model, engine, transmission and destination country which is about all you'll get from any vintage VIN decoder. RealOEM is essentially the same parts catalog as the one used by dealers.

Pre 1981 e12 17 digit VINs do contain information about country of origin (W=West Germany) and the plant where it was produced but they don't follow the modern structure. And remember e12s were sold in the US before there was a BMW USA; dealers bought their cars from the distributer Max Hoffman. Which is why we had Bavaria's in 1972 and the rest of the world got the e12 but that's another story.

To make things even more confusing, there's a finite combination of the 7 digit identifiers resulting in some early BMW VINs being recycled. I understand this is a sometimes issue with the 2002 and e9 crowds but I've yet to hear of it on an e12.
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
SunshineViking

Post by SunshineViking »

keehn wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:13 am Sunshine,

When you go to register, expect to require police verification. 7-digit VINs just don't exist anymore. For me, I just called my state police precinct, and a while later, a couple police came and inspected my car. You probably already know this, but our VINs are stamped on the passenger-side front fender, under the hood; be sure to let the police know this, as they have no clue where to look on our cars! :lol:

Mike
Thanks Mike! That is really good to know, I will verify the VIN number on passenger-side front fender. I had only found the one stamped on a plate on the driver side.
1980 BMW 528i Automatic
1998 BMW 528i 5 Speed
SunshineViking

Post by SunshineViking »

PatinaBeforePolish wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:23 pm
SunshineViking wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:08 pm Hello FirstFivers,

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

-Sunshine
Not sure about the earlier ones, but later model e12s have a 17 digit VIN stamped in the passenger side fender. BUT, these VINs were used before the world standard 17 digit VINs went into effect in 1981. Modern VINs are consistent throughout the world and contain information about country of origin, characteristics of the car (usually chassis or drivetrain related), model year, plant code and the unique vehicle identifier. These are the VINs your dealer is most familiar with. A good parts person can use your 7 digit VIN for reference, RealOEM certainly can and it will show the production month/year, model, engine, transmission and destination country which is about all you'll get from any vintage VIN decoder. RealOEM is essentially the same parts catalog as the one used by dealers.

Pre 1981 e12 17 digit VINs do contain information about country of origin (W=West Germany) and the plant where it was produced but they don't follow the modern structure. And remember e12s were sold in the US before there was a BMW USA; dealers bought their cars from the distributer Max Hoffman. Which is why we had Bavaria's in 1972 and the rest of the world got the e12 but that's another story.

To make things even more confusing, there's a finite combination of the 7 digit identifiers resulting in some early BMW VINs being recycled. I understand this is a sometimes issue with the 2002 and e9 crowds but I've yet to hear of it on an e12.
This is all really good info, I appreciate it. RealOEM is great, the shop I am buying the car from told me about that.
1980 BMW 528i Automatic
1998 BMW 528i 5 Speed
528i-1981

Post by 528i-1981 »

Here's an interesting write-up that you'll need to run through a translation site unless you read German.

My 1981 has a standard VIN, but before '81 the 17-number VINs were non-standard as Jon wrote.

http://www.e12.de/chronicle/detail/03a08012.htm
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual
SunshineViking

Post by SunshineViking »

528i-1981 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:19 pm Here's an interesting write-up that you'll need to run through a translation site unless you read German.

My 1981 has a standard VIN, but before '81 the 17-number VINs were non-standard as Jon wrote.

http://www.e12.de/chronicle/detail/03a08012.htm
Thanks! That was an interesting read, thank goodness for google translate. Reading German hasn’t made it to the top of my list of priorities yet.
1980 BMW 528i Automatic
1998 BMW 528i 5 Speed