It's Alive! It's Alive!

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

canada karl

It's Alive! It's Alive!

Post by canada karl »

Finally got the old 530i fired up. :D It seems like it was a combination of fuel and ignition problems. The fuel pump had failed internally and I had the timing way off when I swapped out the distributor. I installed a new fuel pump and I bought one of those whistle gizmos that you insert into the spark plug hole to tell when No.1 cylnder is in the correct position for timing. i did replace the ECU but that may have not been necessary. Thanks for your support Mike and others who put up with my multitude of questions.
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
tlake

Re: It's Alive! It's Alive!

Post by tlake »

canada karl wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:28 pm Finally got the old 530i fired up. :D It seems like it was a combination of fuel and ignition problems. The fuel pump had failed internally and I had the timing way off when I swapped out the distributor. I installed a new fuel pump and I bought one of those whistle gizmos that you insert into the spark plug hole to tell when No.1 cylnder is in the correct position for timing. i did replace the ECU but that may have not been necessary. Thanks for your support Mike and others who put up with my multitude of questions.
Great work Karl :!: It's so good to hear the 530i is working again. 8)
Mike W.

Re: It's Alive! It's Alive!

Post by Mike W. »

Cool! Yeah, getting the initial timing close enough to run after pulling the dist is always a pain. Glad to hear it's finally running.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter