Overheating

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Golgade

Overheating

Post by Golgade »

Hello,
Wow its been a long time since I posted last, I like changes. I am back to driving my 530i again, until this morning when it started overheating. First time it has ever done this, and it was in 30 degree weather. It went straight from cold to almost red in 10minutes. I shut it off and when I opened up the hood it was I think smoking at the belts, but it could of been steam, im not sure. And when I drove it home (after being pulled over for 45 mins) it kind of smelled like I wood fire, but come to think of it it kind of smelled like that yesterday and before it got hot this morning. So, im trying figure out whats wrong, and any good tests that dont involve ripping into it just yet, which im sure I will be with a new water pump or themostat. Any tips?
Dan Lafley
77 530i
95 530i
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Dan, wow, it has been a while since you posted, good to see you.

The only thoughts I have are possibly a seized water pump or alternator. I had a water pump seize on another brand many years ago and it smoked the fan belt in nothing short. It didn't smell like wood, but it was definitely smoked and caused the engine to overheat. But start with the basics, fill it with water, start it up and watch it.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Karl in KS

Post by Karl in KS »

Like Mike said, start it with the hood open and see if all the pulleys are turning. Or you might try turning it over by hand first...
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Weird, a wood smell?
I agree, sounds like something seized up.
What's the coolant level like?
What is the condition of the belts?
Definitely start it with the hood up and visually inspect for abnormalities that are easily detected.
Sherman

TexFest LSB&F V

95 525iT (Her DD)
92 ///M5 (????)
91 ///M5 (T donor)
88 ///M5 (Das Beast)
86 535i (Snob)
79 528i (1st 5er)