BMW 528I E12 1981 Electric problem

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

npadro77

Post by npadro77 »

It was running fine yesterday but when i tried to start it today It has no power. So i tested the battery and its fine. Any hidden Fuses or relays?
alotawatts

Post by alotawatts »

Do you hear a click when you turn the key ?

http://www.firstfives.org/bboard/viewto ... light=nope
Three E12's and one R27
ImageImageImage
npadro77

Post by npadro77 »

When I try to start the car ,there is no noise , nothing is totally death
not light is like does not have any battery . However I text the weir
goes to the altenator and the battery it got power is good . But nothing
in the inigcion swich . :(
npadro77

Post by npadro77 »

thanks all! i fix :P :lol: :D
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

What did you fix ?
npadro77

Post by npadro77 »

wire from the ingnition swich from the battery has been bent and it hasn't been giving me any power. but now i fixed it i changed it to a new one. thank you all :D :lol: :P
canadaguy

Start problem 528i

Post by canadaguy »

Hi there,
I have a similar problem, perhaps somebody has an idea. In "ignition on" everything seems to be fine, lights are on, fuel pump is doing something. But if I turn the key into start position nothing is happening for a while. Then, sometimes after some seconds, the starter starts to turn and everything is fine. Sometimes nothing happens at all, no click, nothing. Sometimes the starter starts to turn for a millisecond if I go from "start" to "ignition on" position, which is not really helpful either. And it seems like temperature dependent: Now we have here minus 20 degree C, and it's really bad (this morning I've tried it for about 15 minutes before it worked. It's a lot of fun with these temperatures...). Above 0 degree it's basically fine. Any ideas? Could the starter solenoid cause this problem? Battery is new, connections on the battery are clean.
Alexander
alotawatts

Re: Start problem 528i

Post by alotawatts »

canadaguy wrote: And it seems like temperature dependent: connections on the battery are clean.
Clean connections don't mean zip if the connectors are flakey. Clip off and replace the connectors that gang to the pos. battery terminal. Don't rule out the main positive cable either. I have had some intermittent 'turn key - no joy' and discovered that my main pos. cable to the battery was loose inside it's battery connector.
A new ground strap goes without saying.
Three E12's and one R27
ImageImageImage