Headlight Cleaning System wiring

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Adam W in MN

Headlight Cleaning System wiring

Post by Adam W in MN »

Last year I bought the complete headlight cleaning system that a mye28 regular scored on a junkyard e12 M535i in CA (cry, a real one!). I have both motors, the harness, grilles, dual fluid pump, relay, fluid squirters, etc.

I've tested both motors by giving them some 12 volt juice and they spin and return to their rest position, and I think I quickly tested the fluid pumps and they worked (without running them dry for too long). I crossed my fingers and wired it in to the plugs my car had existing and it matched up pretty well, so I thought I had a shot of it working. However, I've tried it out with headlights and windshield wipers on and nothing.

Anyone able to help me troubleshoot this? I know the very, very basics on electrical work and I do have a multimeter. But even if I had a schematic for how this system works, I doubt I could decipher it without help. I've gotten so far as trying to test for 12 volts on the pins that supply power to the motor on the passenger side while the headlights and windshield wipers were on, but I didn't get a reading. Not quite sure how to tackle this one.

Peter, I have the headlight cleaning system installation stuff you sent to me a while back (somewhere) but I thought I remembered it was pretty basic just for the installation and drilling a hole to mount the relay behind the headlights, but that it didn't contain electrical schematics.
Adam Wilson
www.e12m535i.com