Anti-corrosion washer ?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

Anti-corrosion washer ?

Post by T.Hanson »

One battery is fine, the other is a constant Chia Pet fuzzy farm on the negative cable. Have to clean it every two months.

What's an Anti-corrosion washer ? A felt thingy ? What keeps making corrosion snow on one battery, not the other ?
munkeeboi83

Re: Anti-corrosion washer ?

Post by munkeeboi83 »

T.Hanson wrote:One battery is fine, the other is a constant Chia Pet fuzzy farm on the negative cable. Have to clean it every two months.

What's an Anti-corrosion washer ? A felt thingy ? What keeps making corrosion snow on one battery, not the other ?
An anti-corrosion washer is a little treated felt ring to prevent corrosion that you have on your battery terminals. Usually you can get them from Autozone or Kragen for a dollar or so. Red for positive and Green for negative. I would also use a small wire toothbrush or even an old toothbrush if you don't have one and clean up the corrosion before putting everything back together. You want to have a clean metal surface. Then spray on a light coat of your favorite lubricant to protect the battery terminals from corroding. (I like to use silicone based lubricants, other ppl like to use WD-40 or Mystery Oil). The main point is to "lube it up" and you won't have to worry about anything else down the road.
1980 BMW 528i (Polaris Blue)
Lenny D.

Post by Lenny D. »

While you're at it, I'd wash the entire battery case with baking soda and a toothbrush. It foams and neutralizes the acid. Rinse and dry.

Wet, dry over and over and you'd be surprised at how a sneaky little path can develop over time from the - to the + side of the battery along the horizontal surface causing enough voltage to 'leak' to cause battery drain - AMHIK. Electrons want to flow! But we have to make them stay in their predetermined paths.
HTH

'80 528i
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

So, too much washing causes a connection between the terminals? Wow! What T-Hanson means is just one word differance-terminals. Thanx for the tips, but, what causes the chia pet on just one terminal? And why does the oiled felt gasket slow down the process? HUMM? Greg :?
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Lenny, what's AMHIK?? Also, it just hit me, the street isn't whatever you thought, but, is it Jena? Just East/(toward the quarter) of Napoleon? Am I right in my directions? If yes, it starts at Claiborne & goes north. I think!
I emailed Chris. Did he get back to you? Just curious. Greg
Lenny D.

Post by Lenny D. »

GripGreg wrote:So, too much washing causes a connection between the terminals? Wow! What T-Hanson means is just one word differance-terminals. Thanx for the tips, but, what causes the chia pet on just one terminal? And why does the oiled felt gasket slow down the process? HUMM? Greg :?
I didn't say that. But let me clarify. When the battery case gets wet (splashing from rainwater, etc.) and dries over and over a film of debris will accumulate (except maybe in Arizona :P). That's what I apparently failed to communicate.
Ask
Me
How
I
Know

Oiled anything slows down the corrosion process, and only one terminal getting corroded means that one has less inhibitors on it.

And yes, Jena is one block west from Napoleon.
HTH

'80 528i
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

AZ checking in here to say yes, we get the film of debris, too.