Front shock absorber top self locking nut removal? 76 530i

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

canada karl

Front shock absorber top self locking nut removal? 76 530i

Post by canada karl »

Spring compressed. How in the world do you remove this nut without turning the the shock rod? First one I did came off easy. This one is like it's welded on???? Tried holding rod in vice... no joy:x
John in Simi Valley
Site Admin

Stubborn Nut Removal

Post by John in Simi Valley »

Had same problem with my E24.
Liquid Wrench, let it soak for 5 minutes.
Use a big-ass channel-lock or plummer's wrench, like 10-inch or more.

Have fun.
John Savage
1980 528i 5-Speed
FirstFives COTM Editor
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Impact tools. If you don't have them, maybe a rubber hose around the shaft, then grip it with a vice grips. Or take it to a tire shop or something and pay them a couple of bucks to spin it off in seconds. Not because it's so tight, but the locknut is one of those things where impact is really the only effective tool.

Oh, I haven't tried, but I have heard of spray carb cleaner on the nylon helping soften it enough to make removal easier.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Pneumatic wrench ? As in air gun, pardon my flubby vocabulary.

Getting the pulley off the power steering pump was frustrating until I gently, with rag padding, clamped the pulley in a vice, whacked the nut with an air gun.

Also seen it done by alternating tight / loose button, pulling the trigger, with rust sauces or carefully added heat.

Good idea to work in a cool environment, maybe with soothing music. Once it took over an hour to find the tie rod end I threw over the neighbor's garage.
canada karl

Shock Nut Ordeal

Post by canada karl »

I didn't have access to an air tool.Tried wrapping rubber around the rod and holding with vice grips and then channel locks. Didnt work.Removed the turret on the top of the shock tower and and removed the coil spring....put the shock shaft rod in the vice ...it still spun.....took an angle grinder to try to square up the sides of the rod so it wouldnt turn in the vice....no joy.....took a chisel to the nut(put a strip of cloth around the nut to keep the metal bits out.....battered the nut to a pulp but it wouldnt budge... threw the whole thing over the neighbours garage. :lol: .....went back and got it...ended up drilling out two sides of the nut and chipping it off the shaft. Finally got it off....I might be able to salvage the bearing. Next time it's an impact
Pete K

Post by Pete K »

After all that, I imagine even the impact wouldn't have worked. All of mine have either a hex head or two flat sides where the rod sticks up. You just stick a small spanner on the rod and the very thin ring spanner on the nut and away you go. I take mine off regularly to change springs though, so there's no rust or gunk build up.
Pete K
'75 520i (track day special)
'81 M535i (dream car)
'79 323i (wife's little cruiser)
'03 320i wagon (for baby hauling)
'97 Ford Laser (1st ever new car)