will E28 shock towers fit?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

yellowsv

will E28 shock towers fit?

Post by yellowsv »

Hello all,

I am getting ready to fix some rust in the rear shock tower/ fender well and was wondering if it is possible to cut out panels from an e28 and use them?
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

realoem.com for exploded view drawings. Check FAQ here for parts interchange.

Please post your adventures. I have shock tower rust, that has remained for years defying my logic to fix it. Inner, outer shells. Structural, not easily accessed or parts replaced, to require massive amounts of custom cutting, shaping, patching.

To arrive at a (perhaps) strong repair, if extensively blasted, sealed. Still visible, or covered by undercoating, or carpeting. NOT the same as rust free for any resale value,...and rust free chassis are still all over the place for $1500 or free if stripped of parts.
yellowsv

Post by yellowsv »

after some research on realoem, they have the same part numbers so it looks like it will work.

I would love to find a parts car, but I haven't been able to find any some what near me (Washington, DC metro). I have never seen a bare shell anywhere either, but I do not think I want to go that route, the car I am working on is an M535i so I would like to keep as much original as possible.

Thanks for the information

Greg