Chrome on wheels as finish - always terrible?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Brian Smith

Chrome on wheels as finish - always terrible?

Post by Brian Smith »

In most cases, such as cheap chrome plating applied to some stock wheels, for "additional bling" only, this looks tacky, and nothing more.
But what about a good quality job on a set of decent quality aftermarket wheels that needs refinishing anyway?
I know that a plating job is heavier than just polishing olny, but for me, an e12 is not an all-out performance car in 2009, and the wheels' weight is not an overriding issue for me. I have some wheels that need finish help before spring, and I've been considering chrome. Am I nuts?
I would choose the chrome for durability reasons, not for "bling," but I do happen to think that some chrome wheels would match an e12's chrome objects well, as opposed to say an e28 or e34 upon which most things are "modern black."
I know, everyone can do what they want with their car and wheels, but I'm fishing for the reasons that everyone has that indicate that chrome plated wheels are never worthwhile. Please enlighten me, or forever snicker in peace!
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi Brian,
let me just say that I think crome wheels would look great on an e12. they would balance the window crome, and make the whole car stand out as very stylish.
The only problem I have ever had with crome rims, is finding the time to keep them polished.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

The right chrome wheels, OK.

I'm going to polish the lips on my BBS rims, paint the centers black, then clear coat for both shine and ease of cleaning.
Sherman

TexFest LSB&F V

95 525iT (Her DD)
92 ///M5 (????)
91 ///M5 (T donor)
88 ///M5 (Das Beast)
86 535i (Snob)
79 528i (1st 5er)
under the radar

Post by under the radar »

maybe i'm OCD about it, but i consider the trim on my e12 to be aluminum bright metal work and in my opinion looks nothing like chrome. i think that polished wheels would look much better than chrome. i just don't like to mix metal textures on the same car. but hey, its your car and you may do as you please. i just thought i'd offer my opinion.

also, for the price of having wheels chromed, you could have them polished.
the early nineties called. they want their awesome back

OO==00==OO
Brian Smith

Post by Brian Smith »

under the radar wrote:maybe i'm OCD about it, but i consider the trim on my e12 to be aluminum bright metal work and in my opinion looks nothing like chrome. i think that polished wheels would look much better than chrome. i just don't like to mix metal textures on the same car. but hey, its your car and you may do as you please. i just thought i'd offer my opinion.

also, for the price of having wheels chromed, you could have them polished.
Thanks for the opinion.
I also think that the bumpers are non-chromed aluminum, but do you think that the window trim and mirrors and door handles and lock plates are polished aluminum and not plated?
I think those things are in chrome, and that they dominate the trim finish more than the bumpers do so.
I also know that polished aluminum, un-anodized, requires a fair amount of maintenance to prevent oxidation, and I'm not aware of a company that offers polishing and clear protective anodizing for auto wheels.
The beauty of the plating is also in its durability and ease of maintenance.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

I say "no" to chrome, but yes to polished.

Adam Wilson
www.e12m535i.com
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Adam W in MN wrote:I say "no" to chrome, but yes to polished.

That's what I'm talking about...
Sherman

TexFest LSB&F V

95 525iT (Her DD)
92 ///M5 (????)
91 ///M5 (T donor)
88 ///M5 (Das Beast)
86 535i (Snob)
79 528i (1st 5er)
Brian Smith

nice looking car, Adam

Post by Brian Smith »

I think the polished looks better than chrome on a body-colored bumper, e28 mirrored e12, for sure!

How do I find a good company to use for straightening, refurbishing, and polishing and/or plating wheels?

Does anybody have a company they'd recommend for specific services?

Thanks!