rear seat swappage

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Brian Smith

rear seat swappage

Post by Brian Smith »

random idea driven by winter doldrums...

if early 6ers were e12 based, would the rear seats from an e12 based 6er be a bolt-in swap into a e12 5er?

I've seen some cool looking photos of some 6er rear seats in an e28, and given time and money anything is possible, but I wonder if this is a quick and easy swap that could be quickly and easily reversed.

Maybe the 6er folks posting here lately have some ideas about this?
Last edited by Brian Smith on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st 5er

Re: rear seat swappage

Post by 1st 5er »

Brian Smith wrote:would the rear seats from an e12 5er be a bolt-in swap into a e12 5er?
This part of your question, even I can answer with a resounding YES.

Though I know that's not what you meant to ask.

Editing for the proper direction swap would help the more knowledgeable amongst us get you the answer.

I've too have considered a swap, but mine was in the direction of E28 into E12. Any thoughts?
If I can be forgiven for a slight hijack. :wink:
Sherman

TexFest LSB&F V

95 525iT (Her DD)
92 ///M5 (????)
91 ///M5 (T donor)
88 ///M5 (Das Beast)
86 535i (Snob)
79 528i (1st 5er)
larsobg

seatswapping...

Post by larsobg »

E28 seats swap directly into 80/81 e12's. In fact they swap into all e12's, but you may have to use the seat bases from the earlier e12's, which bolt on. I can't remember the year when the shape of the floor pan changed on the e12's, but the appropriate seat bases for the e12 make it work with the e28 seats.

However.. that is only from four door fiver bodies to four doors.

Regarding Six models, the seat cushions are considerably thicker on five series seats and would put your head through the roof on a Six.
Brian Smith

Re: seatswapping...

Post by Brian Smith »

larsobg wrote:
Regarding Six models, the seat cushions are considerably thicker on five series seats and would put your head through the roof on a Six.
Thanks for that info.
What I meant to ask, but typed incorrectly, was about swapping 6er rear seats into an e12 5er.
I've edited my first post to ask the question that I actually meant...