Rough idle after engine reaches operating temp.

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Swapped out ECU's with my donor car and as with all previous activities resulted in an improvement.
We're still not at 100% but very close and possibly even tolerable.
Thank all of you very much.
swatterssr wrote:
Lenny D. wrote:What happens when, at idle, fully warm, with your complaint present, you push slightly on the door in the AFM? If the engine happily perks up, you have a lean condition to figure out. If it gets worse and wants to/dies, you have a rich condition, but you will smell that.
Will address this test this evening.
Lenny D. wrote:I suggest obtaining a copy of the yellow book from Bosch 'L-Jetronic' to thoroughly understand the components and the system as whole.

Also, please read the post I left here on FF from the folks at Metric Mechanic on AFM calibration, and the correct use of the O2 sensor as a diagnostic tool: http://www.firstfives.org/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=186
Thanks. This info will be included in the weekend effort.
What happens when...
When slightly opening the AFM, idle increases ever so slightly. Of course when opening past slightly, it wants to really stumble.
So, based on your input, I'm going to try and do the AFM calibration per the Metric Mechanic write up.

I'll be back...
Sherman

TexFest LSB&F V

95 525iT (Her DD)
92 ///M5 (????)
91 ///M5 (T donor)
88 ///M5 (Das Beast)
86 535i (Snob)
79 528i (1st 5er)
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Did the calibration, as best my limited skill with the voltmeter would let me, and it improved it to nearly perfect, nearly but not totally.
The biggest improvement came from just screwing in the C.O. adjustment screw.

I'm guessing my real problem was the AFM calibration being so far off, with all the other little things amplifying that issue.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions, WAG's, tree climbing, etc.

It's running good enough now to tackle the A/C, and just in time, as it's 89 here today.
That's for another day though.

Today, now, it's time for a cigar and a cold drink on the patio.
Sherman

TexFest LSB&F V

95 525iT (Her DD)
92 ///M5 (????)
91 ///M5 (T donor)
88 ///M5 (Das Beast)
86 535i (Snob)
79 528i (1st 5er)