Blinker & Brake Light issue

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

carlsturm

Blinker & Brake Light issue

Post by carlsturm »

my newest issue is that my blinker makes a very fast clicking sound when flipped on. I've walked around the car and confirmed that all the lights are working, including the lights on the side of car at all four corners. There is no difference between Right and Left-side blinkers.

When blinkers are engaged, the intended lights blink, but at the pace of a strobe light. They flicker so fast that you can't see them blinking unless you are very close to the blinker lights.

Mike W, you suggested my blinker unit (4X21W) might be toast? Can you still buy those or is it down to the junkyard for me?

Any debugging ideas before I plunge in?

My Brake lights also do not work --- I don't know if that could be related?

ty in advance.
79 528i
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Well, you might be low on Blinker fluid. :roll:

Seriously though, if both sides do it, I'd suspect the flasher relay. IIRC I did have one fail like that one time. If only one side does it, it's a burned out bulb. Wow, just looked at Autohaus and it's available, but for $70! Oh, brake lights would not be affected in any way.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
carlsturm

Post by carlsturm »

LOL Mike. I'm heading out to buy 50 yards of shore line and I'll be sure to pickup that blinker fluid then :) I'm going to save that pic and use it on someone else.

An update on the brake lights issue. I noticed the brake lights are ALWAYS on---since I drive with my lights on all the time I didn't realize it. So now I'm thinking it's a stuck brake light switch somewhere near the brake pedal?

I'm not looking forward to pulling down that dash kick board again and I finally got it fastened up real snug after buying some new "J" nuts and sheet metal screws.

Mike W. wrote:Well, you might be low on Blinker fluid. :roll:

Seriously though, if both sides do it, I'd suspect the flasher relay. IIRC I did have one fail like that one time. If only one side does it, it's a burned out bulb. Wow, just looked at Autohaus and it's available, but for $70! Oh, brake lights would not be affected in any way.
79 528i
Odometergears

Post by Odometergears »

If you need a rely, I have a spare one. Just replaced mine and wasn't the problem. I had the wrong light bulbs in the turn signal cases.

Call me or email.

jeff
757-593-3478
Jeff Caplan 1981 Euro E12 3.5 M106 Block w/T4
carlsturm

Post by carlsturm »

Jeff, ty -- I'm back on the road this week. When I get back home later this week I'll call you.
Odometergears wrote:If you need a rely, I have a spare one. Just replaced mine and wasn't the problem. I had the wrong light bulbs in the turn signal cases.

Call me or email.

jeff
757-593-3478
79 528i