Electrical Drain Problem

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

John in Simi Valley
Site Admin

Electrical Drain Problem

Post by John in Simi Valley »

Greetings all,
When I tried starting my E12 this weekend, I found my battery was mostly dead. Hmmm . . . battery voltage was 12.01, usually should be 12.7-ish. Took the regulator assy off the alternator to see if the brushes were short. They seemed fine -- no over heating blemishes either. Measured voltage with car running -- 13.3VDC. Stopped the engine after a few minutes, restarted okay, so charging system seems fine. Probed around the fuse box and found that the power to my steering column switches were live even though I have no key in the ignition.

So, I can operate my windshield wipers and signals with no key. Have not traced any further at this writing, but I think I either have a relay that failed closed, or I have an ignition switch problem. Then again I did have the Hazard switch problem -- more testing and trouble shooting is required.

Anyone seen these symptoms before?
John Savage
1980 528i 5-Speed
FirstFives COTM Editor
alotawatts

Post by alotawatts »

Have you checked for current drain (small mil.amp readings) on all fuses with all accessories on and key off ?
Three E12's and one R27
ImageImageImage
Lenny D.

Re: Electrical Drain Problem

Post by Lenny D. »

John in Simi Valley wrote:Greetings all,
When I tried starting my E12 this weekend, I found my battery was mostly dead. Hmmm . . . battery voltage was 12.01, usually should be 12.7-ish. Took the regulator assy off the alternator to see if the brushes were short. They seemed fine -- no over heating blemishes either. Measured voltage with car running -- 13.3VDC. Stopped the engine after a few minutes, restarted okay, so charging system seems fine. Probed around the fuse box and found that the power to my steering column switches were live even though I have no key in the ignition.

So, I can operate my windshield wipers and signals with no key. Have not traced any further at this writing, but I think I either have a relay that failed closed, or I have an ignition switch problem. Then again I did have the Hazard switch problem -- more testing and trouble shooting is required.

Anyone seen these symptoms before?
That is a classic symptom of your ignition switch gone south. I had that happen MANY years ago. Subsequent postings regarding live accessories without key on FF have pointed to the same problem.
Gook luck.
Last edited by Lenny D. on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTH

'80 528i
tacomagabe

Post by tacomagabe »

Yeah I had a slow drain but I'm pretty sure it was some wiring done by a previous owner when he put an amp in the car. Had a wire coming off the positive with a 40 watt amp stuck in it. Took the fuse out for a quick fix but don't know that my wiring woes are over. I just got the car a couple weeks ago and haven't had time to look it over more.
Starts up every time now but the bat light is always on very faintly.....Any ideas?
Gabe B.

1981 528i
1995 525it
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Mine has the same problem, most of the time. Brake lights too. But not always. It's not a relay since I can go weeks without starting and it fires right up. I suspect the igniton switch, but haven't found time to chase it down yet. I'm guessing you have another drain, besides the switch just being on, chase it down by pulling fuses one at a time and looking/listening for that tiny spark, or do it the right way and take a meter to them. Also, unless it was still trying to charge up the battery after being low, 13.3 is a touch on the low side for charging voltage. I think spec is 13.6 to 14.5. If you're low, check both at the alternator and at the battery, you could have resistance inbetween. 13.3 should be ok, but...
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Hmmm?
Sherman

TexFest LSB&F V

95 525iT (Her DD)
92 ///M5 (????)