MegaSquirt vs Motronic

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

stewart in slc

MegaSquirt vs Motronic

Post by stewart in slc »

I have a really nice looking 1981 w/ a euro 3.5 that I've never been able to get running great. It runs ok but never great. It's my 5th e12 and I'd love to have this car for many years to come. I've been doing some research on both MS and the Motronic upgrade but was hoping for some e12 specific feedback on both options.
David in Seattle

Post by David in Seattle »

You could keep Motronic, and pick up a WAR Chip from Miller. You get programmable chip (with multiple settings), but you don't have to run a trigger wheel, EDIS, etc.

My 2002 has Megasquirt, and I think it's great, but I am going with a WAR Chip. You can also get a MAF conversion kit from Miller. That lets you ditch the stock AFM for one that flows much better.
1980 528i (with M30B34/Motronic conversion)
1972 2002
BimBim2oo2

Post by BimBim2oo2 »

The WAR and MAF combo is amazing. I ran them both on my E34 and Brody is a awesome guy to work with and is great about taking care of his customers. I would rather use the Motronic and WAR IMO because it seems to me like it is more user friendly and less of a headache. I've known a few people to go MS and they often in the end have some sort of issue
"The greatest gifts in life are the one's we give ourselves"

1980 M535
2012 Prius
2014 Focus ST
2013 KLR650
stewart in slc

Post by stewart in slc »

My car currently has the stock L-Jet so I'm guessing to go to the WAR/MAF combo I'd have to start with an upgrade to Motronic. Is that correct?
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

stewart in slc wrote:My car currently has the stock L-Jet so I'm guessing to go to the WAR/MAF combo I'd have to start with an upgrade to Motronic. Is that correct?
That is correct.
Last edited by Blaise on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1977 BMW 530i
1973 R75/5 BMW (motorcycle)
Peter Florance
Site Admin

Post by Peter Florance »

I was contacted to help a autocrosser get a WAR chip running. I could not figure out how to log or tune-part load AFR and could not get any response from Miller's email.

In the end he asked me to make a MegaSquirt plug and play for his e30 and he sold the WAR setup.

I did like the Miller intake he bought.
Peter Florance
First Fives.Org - The E12 Registry
1981 E-Street Prepared Euro BMW 528i w/3.5L & Megasquirt Fuel Injection
http://www.firstfives.org
mailto:peter@firstfives.org
BimBim2oo2

Post by BimBim2oo2 »

I had issues with my WAR chip when I first bought it. Apparently it was never uploaded with the tuning software before it left the shop. I contacted Brody and he got me hooked up via online taking over my computer magic. This was pretty late at night to he was helping me, around 10. There customer service is top notch IMO. They were always good about shipping and warranty with their products.

if you do have a WAR you can email Brody and he is real good about getting back to you. IDK if he has an account on here but he is on BimmerForums and NWBMWClub.

1980 M535
2012 Prius
2014 Focus ST
2013 KLR650
Peter Florance
Site Admin

Post by Peter Florance »

BimBim2oo2 wrote:I had issues with my WAR chip when I first bought it. Apparently it was never uploaded with the tuning software before it left the shop. I contacted Brody and he got me hooked up via online taking over my computer magic. This was pretty late at night to he was helping me, around 10. There customer service is top notch IMO. They were always good about shipping and warranty with their products.

if you do have a WAR you can email Brody and he is real good about getting back to you. IDK if he has an account on here but he is on BimmerForums and NWBMWClub.
He was discouraged when I got no response after sending 2 emails and waiting 2 weeks.

I think he sold the setup; but I would appreciate his email in case I run across another one. Can you PM it to me?
Peter Florance
First Fives.Org - The E12 Registry
1981 E-Street Prepared Euro BMW 528i w/3.5L & Megasquirt Fuel Injection
http://www.firstfives.org
mailto:peter@firstfives.org
BimBim2oo2

Post by BimBim2oo2 »

I always got a hold of him via PM through BfC ill double check for an email thiugh. You can also call there and ask for him. Keep in mind this was a couple years ago and I know the company has grown. I would hope the customer service hasn't suffered from that. Sorry I couldn't help more.

1980 M535
2012 Prius
2014 Focus ST
2013 KLR650
stewart in slc

Plug and Play MS

Post by stewart in slc »

Does a plug and play MegaSquirt kit exist for the E12?
Falkenberg

Post by Falkenberg »

I don't think so, but it might be easier to adapt to your engine than motronic in terms of mechanical changes needed. Try to find somebody in your area that knows about megasquirt, that would make it easier. There is a forum, there might be a company that does things.

For motronic you can find ready-made conversions to a german made megasquirt rip-off, that makes it kind of plug-and-play minus the TPS signal that megasquirt would like to get (but it is not obligatory).
1961 Simson AWO sport (Brasoveanca)
1968 BMW 114 2002
1976 BMW E12 528 (Malèna)
1987 Kawasaki GPz900r
1996 Moto Guzzi V75 PA NT