starter, pertronix ignition, fuel pump, timing......LONG.

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

cpalmer

starter, pertronix ignition, fuel pump, timing......LONG.

Post by cpalmer »

Howdy All,

Been a while since I've posted, but I've gotten around to a bunch of stuff on my 78' polaris, non-sunroof, 158,000, 4 speed I picked up last summer in Seattle and thought I would update as I have finally got half of what I want done, thanks to this site, and had all ready decided to keep it for a long time after a "moment" on a road trip down to Ca. a couple months ago and now have done this.

In the last couple weeks-

Starter-done....easy,-sprayed some rust bust a couple times a couple days before, used wrench from tool kit, thought about and looked at it a couple times before I did it and it was smooth. Maybe a couple hours. Took off first intake and heater lines.

Upgraded points to pertronix. Could notice right away. Very easy switch. Kept points and condensor in tool kit, j.i.c.

Door locks and windows motors and inside of doors cleaned and lubed.

Back door locks fixed.

Passenger front window motor dead for sure, (sigh...).

Was careful to but back nuts and screws in right places, made sure arm rests are nice and tight and long screws go into backing. New thick plastic on all doors and sealer to make it air tight.

Swapped virtually unused passenger seat for semi-warn driver seat, and fixed seat adjustment as back end was jammed down-(Sweeeeeeeet bonus upgrade!!!). This was probably the most frustrating and thus time consuming as I was tired and getting the securing bolts back in was a pain. It will also give me more years of driving on this car as it was tweaking my back riding low and I wouldn't have bought new seats.

Timing- done yesterday with a friend, (as recommended by Mike W.), and ball hitting mark perfect at 1700!!!!! (humming perfect and dropped temp gauge to under mid mark at idle.....awesome, that's all I can say).

Wic air filter and oil filter.

Done when acquired in summer-

Fuel filter, pump and lines.

That was all pretty tough, but half of the battle was the dirt.....make sure to pre-clean as much as possible and wear goggles.

Distributor cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, (by me) and slave cylinder and altenator (by private mechanic in Seattle...ouch@!!!!!!).

I drove this car down to Ca. a couple months ago and had some point problems and was really nervous going driving into and out of the bay area and San Francisco and felt like a time capsule with long hair and Oregon plates in the "modern" world were I am from and in an old car. Gas mileage was around 20, maybe.

But on the way back, I took the 101 and midway in Eureka it was popping and I messed with the points, it started fine...found a hotel and the next day had the best driving six hours, through pouring rain, I've had in YEARS.

I think it was when the clouds broke at night and I could see the stars and was cruising back towards Portland through the coastal mountains from Tillamook doing 85 and not even realizing it, that I had a "moment". I felt like I was in a vintage German airplane, not a car. It was pretty beautiful, windows down, heater CRANKING like they do.

These cars are the BEST!!!! Up there with 55-57 bel airs, 61-65 continentals, old vettes and t-birds, austins and fiat spyders and camaro's and mustang, in my book. The wicked combination of power, handling and style is top 10 for sure.

Next up-

Neg. battery strap-(spaced it....it's in lousy condition and on it's way). Knowing it will solve the clicking on my new starter and quicker door locks, window and such. It's waaaay corroded. Probably has caused all the '"little problems" I have had.

Master slave and brakes.

Passenger side window motor.

Grant steering wheel.

Lighter muffler. It's stock and old and HEAVY. Any advice? Smog pump is on and hooked up, so think I will just leave it.

Tornado fuel thingy-(talked to a good hod-rod buddy and he said "do it for sure on your old bimmer!!!).

A/C recharge-(it's working though!!).

Fog lights. None on there and I need them in the mountains where the car is. Any advice there? Find stock, or go with 'Hella" or something?

Flash light for glove compartment. (have too.)

Enlarge port exhaust.

E28 radiator upgrade.

Front air dam-(some how some way).

Lower driver side dash cover....p.o. said it "was just a piece of cardboard in the way....".

I haven't even driven her but a quick 4 miles yesterday, but started her up today and listened to her warm up at 1500 rpm instead of 1800 or 1900 and saw the temp guage at a new lower level and felt the purr/humm of a fine running, European driving machine.

I'm $2,000 into this car $380 of that being for a lazy mechanic on Bainbridge Island who chummped me on the slave cylinder and a couple other things. Plus, 80 to 100 of my own 5 on a 10 mechanic/detailing/cleaning hours. That would be half now and on my next one.

Unfortunately, there is some rust under the battery I did kill, and a spot in the front lower driver doors and random surfaced, but it was babied for 20 plus and sat out for 10 or less, but it's tight. No leaks or squeaks and am bring it back it slowly. Will buy another one I am sure to enjoy the next 10 years of driving this kind of gas powered car before I put some money out for a newer, planet friendly.

I wanted to thank everyone, especially Peter and Mike W., T Hans., and Brett in Portland , for allowing me to be part of the experience of the 5 series through all your guys experience. I would not look at this car or driving like I do now.

I can't WAIT to make my next drive down the 101 into the Bay Area and laugh at all the people in their $20,000 to $70,000 cars!!! My ride is going to be Proper like a Whopper and pretty cheap over all!!

And, my next one will be an 80' or 81' with no rust, (and a sunroof!!), when I can grab it. I see them out there still.

Have many more questions, so, we will all talk soon.

Cheers everyone.