central locking system........location of grounds in trunk??

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

cpalmer

central locking system........location of grounds in trunk??

Post by cpalmer »

I was un-aware my 78' had a central locking system for the entire car and now am interested in it.

So, I am wondering, is the the trunk lock on my car supposed to shut and open the door locks as well? And the gas door/lid?

I know the newer models do.

I have the door locks working fine, and looked yesterday and saw a lock for the gas compartment that has definitely not worked in a while.

I have a new neg. strap from battery to car, but am wondering about the grounds located in the trunk as I don't know where they are and maybe any other fuses or relays that may go to the back.

Basically, I am wondering if with a little work and cleaning, if I can get my entire central locking system going again. It would be very nice to be able to open and close the doors with the trunk lock, and get the gas door/lid operational again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

No, it's not like E28's, everything works off the drivers door only. It should lock all 4 doors, the trunk and gas door, but the drivers door is the only input, so to speak.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
cpalmer

thanks again mike.

Post by cpalmer »

I was looking at it again today for a few minutes and could see the locking mechanisim for the trunk.

I was going to actually go for the big clean tomorrow.

Would you know, is that a separate lock motor on the inside of the right back fender? I assume it is for the gas door and the trunk locks.

It will still be very cool to know the trunk and gas cap are locked when I lock from the drivers, (if I can get them going).

Thanks for clarifying so I know what I am looking to do.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

There are two locks in the trunk, the one by the gas door is for the gas door, and there is one for the trunk that lives kind of straight down below the latching mechanism. They can be troublesome, the control unit, which is what looks like the drivers door lock accuator can give fail, and the door lock motor assemblies tend to wear and not have enough to (usually) unlock the door when all the grease is old and hard and the mechanism doesn't move freely anymore.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
cpalmer

thanks

Post by cpalmer »

Thanks Mike.

Think I will just do a basic once over then and clean everything and hit the wires and start from there.

It would be nice, but is not a something that HAS to be done at this point.

I've found that when I ask for advice here, and or read the archives a few times, project seem to work out much easier.