Removing half shafts

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

Removing half shafts

Post by T.Hanson »

It looks like they are self contained units, removed by removing the allen bolts.

Yes ? Are there any tricks, as in jacking the axle to an optimum angle ? Or beware the bolts being rust welded,...

Once removed it appears cleaning, replacing the bellows (boots) is not quick and easy.
Eddie in TO

Post by Eddie in TO »

I jacked mine up, put stands in place and used a block of wood to keep the wheel from spinning while loosening the allen bolts. You can also use the emergency brake too but I wanted to be able to rotate the wheels to gain better access to each bolt while staying underneath the car.

You may want to have a breaker bar handing just in case you come across one that's a bit more stubborn to remove.

It wasn't too bad to R&R them as long as you have some time on your hands.

I have to do this again soon because the new bolts I ordered didn't come on time when I initially had the shafts rebuilt.
Eddie Ribeiro
5erholic
1980 528i with a BMW Motorsport heart

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

If you find you are about to strip the allen head you can always clamp a decent sized vice grips on the outside of the bolt head and use the allen socket and turn them both at the same time. It makes a difference on the stubborn ones. :D

And yes, replacing the boot is a sluggish and very dirty process. After you get the snap ring off they will often still fight you off the splines.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

I have a good set of spares w/boots. The book says to mark the position of the shafts in relation to the plates they are leaving. If I intend to swap in the spares, what's the significance of not being able to orient them using any marks ?

Do I orient them as best I can comparing each side visually or are they delicately balanced at the factory ?
Andrew in Calgary
Site Admin

Post by Andrew in Calgary »

I don't know if it's correct or not, but I swapped in a set from my (E28s) parts car to my driver once upon a time, with no ill effects. That was some 50 or 60,000 Lead-footed km ago.
"There is nothing that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." - Rio Sollway
RonDwyer

Half Shafts

Post by RonDwyer »

I saw Andrew swapped in a set to his from an E28 donor, will E28's fit all E12's? I have a 77 and a nice junkyard nearby.
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4
KenB

Post by KenB »

^^alternatively, sir, I have a good used set from an 80 528i.

You have been PM'd. :)

Ken