Front end noise.

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

Front end noise.

Post by T.Hanson »

Simple version: What things to check that cause, " wah, wah, wah," front end wheel (?) noise. Wheel(s) only because the wah, wah, is speed related.

I changed out the 528i front struts, springs, pads, mount bearings, shocks, calipers, rotors to new or like new specs. To discover 633 struts have different axle subs, bearings, races. Same hubs. Only differences my careful comparing can see, or I'm not aware of caster, camber differences.

Car flunked front bearing noise test at the alignment shop. New races professionally installed. Old bearings used to seat hubs, follow instructions for exact greasing and final adjustment of new bearings. Axle stubs are clean, no bluing, surface blemishes and the bearings fit with no play at all.

40 mile test drive, 25 freeway, no noises, no adjustment needed from wheels off inspection.

I painted the rotors, taped off the pad contact area, cleaned off small overspray with fine disc sander. Installed factory rebuilt caliper and caliper rebuilt by me, both working as normal, no warp wobble. Dust shields to spec, no rubbing. All ball joints tight, bushings, dust boots good. No louder or crunchy noises while turning.

I'm asking for free advice because I never saw any large defects in the old bearings, hubs or races, or wheels off noises to totally believe the alignment shop diagnosis. Easier to install new parts than argue. Easier to park it for winter than take it back to the same shop for more guessing, until spring.

I never paid close enough attention to tread noise before the repairs. Can repairs and an alignment be sanding the tread, and perhaps rotors to fit the new set up ?