Injector mount insulators - not

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

alotawatts

Injector mount insulators - not

Post by alotawatts »

I noticed the injectors on my 79 do not appear to have the fiber insulating washers in the mounts/bolts ...prior owner had a rebuild....runs and idles okay.
LJET explained ?
Three E12's and one R27
ImageImageImage
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I think they've been NLA for just about forever. I try to put them back if they're there, but I don't worry a bit if they're not. The rubber mount is a pretty good thermal insulator, so the difference between those paper insulators can't be much. In other words, don't worry about it.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
alotawatts

Post by alotawatts »

Mike W. wrote:I think they've been NLA for just about forever.
Thanks Mike
They are available ...cheap too. I bought some about a year ago for my 81 restore. It just stands to reason that the injectors are/should be insulated from the engine (ground?) for electronic reasons right ? Why else whould they be there ? Radio static ?
Three E12's and one R27
ImageImageImage
Lenny D.

Post by Lenny D. »

I could be wrong, but I believe it was explained to me that their value was for noise/vibration. I replace them whenever I'm in there, seeing all the effort that goes into yanking the fuel rail; I try and do everything once, and at the same time. A little trick to installing them was shown to me once, use some vasoline to 'stick' them to the manifold as you guide the rubber gasket and injector into each hole.
HTH

'80 528i