AC Evaporator blower motor removal...

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

philipj

AC Evaporator blower motor removal...

Post by philipj »

Just finished rebuilding my AC system in my vehicle, much needed in Florida! After a tremendous amount of work to source, fabricate and obtain custom hoses-but worse (getting a hold of an early AC blower switch) I have the system running with R12! :shock: Works anywhere from 38 Deg. to 58 deg. with outside temp of 90 degrees and a burning dash!

But I missed one detail! Checked the blower for operation which seemed fine for a short while, not surprising since it has 1/4" of play up and down and works intermittently screeching to a halt more often now..

Here is my dilemma, I do not want to remove the evaporator, incur another expense at the AC shop evacuating the system, etc. Wonder if i can partially lift the dash and then remove the upper evaporator casing to replace the blower without disturbing the rest of the system.. Insane?

Debating how to go about this, the least painful and quickest way without spending more money....

Your advice is appreciated..
Regards,
Philip.
cory58

Post by cory58 »

Philip - did you figure this out? My AC fan is chirping, so I'll eventually be dealing with the same dilemma.

Cory
1977 530i
1988 320i Touring (euro)
1992 325i Cabrio
2000 M5
2015 328i (wife's daily)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Try oiling it first. The zoom spout oiler works well to get it close to the right spots.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Lenny D.

Post by Lenny D. »

Mike W. wrote:Try oiling it first. The zoom spout oiler works well to get it close to the right spots.
Correct. I acquired another blower housing assembly a long time ago just to see how it's fabricated. There are two small holes in the blower cage where the other side butts close to the fan motor mount where the shaft protrudes. I use silicone grease in an aerosol with two extensions, one larger than the other to couple them (get creative) to introduce lubricant to the motor shaft. I usually do this once a year in the early summer before the weather gets horrid. Not perfect but keeps it spinning quietly!
HTH

'80 528i