Dashboard directional indicator flasher lamp goes out.

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

tlake

Dashboard directional indicator flasher lamp goes out.

Post by tlake »

When I indicate to make a turn, the green dashboard lamp on my 1976 car , flashes a few times then stops, even though the indicator stalk is still on.

The turn signal lamps are still working on the car's outside, it's just the green dash lamp that stops. Any ideas on what's causing this :?: Thanks :)
Falkenberg

Re: Dashboard directional indicator flasher lamp goes out.

Post by Falkenberg »

Some said that it is a worn flasher relay, I found out that good bulbs, good electrical connections and also charging voltage in my car makes the difference between working / not working. Or pressing the brake pedal or not...
1961 Simson AWO sport (Brasoveanca)
1968 BMW 114 2002
1976 BMW E12 528 (Malèna)
1987 Kawasaki GPz900r
1996 Moto Guzzi V75 PA NT
Lenny D.

Post by Lenny D. »

Remove the lower cowl panel, reach up and find the bulb and socket for the turn signal, it'll be visible. Wiggle the SOB and see if it starts flashing again.

As previously discussed the lackluster wiring loom that winds its way around the cluster is a likely culprit.
HTH

'80 528i
Lock

Post by Lock »

Lenny D. wrote:Remove the lower cowl panel, reach up and find the bulb and socket for the turn signal, it'll be visible. Wiggle the SOB and see if it starts flashing again.

As previously discussed the lackluster wiring loom that winds its way around the cluster is a likely culprit.
Huh you can get to the flasher bulb (and any others?!) without taking the cluster out?

Whole bunch of bulbs in my dash are out including the brake/brake wear and the D and I thought the only access was by taking the whole thing out..
1979 528i - Sold
tlake

Post by tlake »

Just found out the dash bulb is fine. I put the hazard warning lights on and the green indicator bulb flashed continuously.

So it must be the turn signal stalk, or wiring to it. I can't find the parts diag for that on Real OEM BMW. Anyone got the page handy? Thanks. :)
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

I've always relished a good electrical issue to troubleshoot. First, get out your trusty Haynes manual and trace that light bulb back. if you don't do it that way you may overlook something in between that is the culprit.
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4
Falkenberg

Post by Falkenberg »

tlake wrote:Just found out the dash bulb is fine. I put the hazard warning
So it must be the turn signal stalk, or wiring to it.
No, I don't think so.
1961 Simson AWO sport (Brasoveanca)
1968 BMW 114 2002
1976 BMW E12 528 (Malèna)
1987 Kawasaki GPz900r
1996 Moto Guzzi V75 PA NT
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

My experience is it flashing once, then no more, is the flasher relay. A new/used one rectified the problem in a couple of cases.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

I've usually done troubleshooting to verify ground connections. It's amazing how much that affects the entire electrical system. Sure, they look tight, just take them apart, hit with a dremel wire brush (safety glasses) and find the next one.
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4
tlake

Post by tlake »

Mike W. wrote:My experience is it flashing once, then no more, is the flasher relay. A new/used one rectified the problem in a couple of cases.
It flashes all the time with the hazard button on. But activate the turn signal stalk and it flashes a few times then stops, even before the stalk cancels.