Euro indicators socket??

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

kwyjibo

Euro indicators socket??

Post by kwyjibo »

I was able to source euro bumpers and turn indicators from Wallothnesch, but the indicator housing does not come with bulb sockets. The US ones will not fit without some modification and none of the parts diagrams or searches will turn up a part number.
Does anyone know the part number for the bulb socket that fits the european indicator housing?
For reference, below are two photos of the back of the housing where the sockets would go.
Thanks!
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

I've seen them where just a ground strip extends into the piece and the back of the bulb holder has the center contactor. VW bus stuff. What does RealOEM show?
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4
kwyjibo

Post by kwyjibo »

Hi Ron,
That's the problem - the socket is not listed on any of the diagrams. The socket just appears as part of the housing (which is definitely the case with the black plastic ones that I've seen)
I'm hoping that someone knows the part number of a socket that fits or if an easy to find housing uses an interchangeable one. I'll look into the bus one.
Thanks.
JodyStevens

Post by JodyStevens »

I'll take a look at mine later and report back with pictures.
'78 Euro 528i Rubinrot Metallic. Who else has this color?
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

I used the US blinker. I removed the pigtail and black plastic socket backing from the US side light, trimmed it until it was a tight fit in the socket, then used 3M weather stripping adhesive to encase it- It both waterproofs it glues it.
You have to do some test fitting to set the depth of the backing, since you need just the right amount of tension on the bulb. Too far in and you can't get the bulb in, not far enough and the bulb won't have a good connection and be loose. Be advised that the socket only accepts single filament bulbs, so you need to decide if you want parking light or blinker. You remove one of the contacts from the US connector, and line the blue(blinker, grey is parking light) wired connector up so it is in the center of the socket. The brown ground wire is better used with a ring connector and attached to the nut used to mount the body to the bumper (closest to the socket). It's hard to visualize it I know. I don't know what the original setup was, but it was a bit of a pain to do it this way but I'm glad I did. It works like it should, and that's what matters.
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
JodyStevens

Post by JodyStevens »

Here's what my euros look like from the back. It has a screw which you can see here that holds it together. I don't see a spot for yours to accept a screw. I'll take it apart later and check for part numbers.
kwyjibo

Post by kwyjibo »

Thanks guys!
Cabbage - Your solution is exactly what I was thinking of doing. The US socket was just a bit too small to fit cleanly on the housing - the problem was that I would have to trim the mounting lip off the socket to get it into the right position, and that means a semi-permanent (ie: glue) mounting. This shouldn't be a problem until the next time it needs to be taken apart. btw, I can picture what you're describing, thanks.
Jody - I can't tell from the photo if your housing is chromed metal or black plastic but it does seem to use a different socket. Its good to know that there is a second type that may be transferable.
CabbageFumes

Post by CabbageFumes »

The plastic housing is a closed unit. You either use the plastic housing complete(easy route, done deal), or the chrome housing and retrofit it somehow(more work but classy!)
Fiver 12/73
Fiver 06/87
Sixteen-O-Two-er 11/69
i3 8/14
JodyStevens

Post by JodyStevens »

Yea sorry about the terrible photos, snapped it quick on my way to work. It's the black plastic housing. Is the chrome version OEM or reproduction?