window motor removal for 78' 530i???

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

cpalmer

window motor removal for 78' 530i???

Post by cpalmer »

Hey all,

I need to pull a window motor and check it.

I did these months ago, but for some reason now, am totally stuck.

CHiltons say to pull the window, but I seemed to remember lodging something in there and avoid pulling out the window and just the motor.

Which bolts am I looking to loosen?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
crazyfastman

Post by crazyfastman »

I actually did this a few days ago. There are two bolts holding the window to the regulator assembly. I removed those then removed the (3?)nuts holding the assembly to the inner door skin. It required some persuasion to budge. Then I just took the whole assembly out, motor and all with the window still in the door. After that, I pushed the window up by hand and wedged a long piece of trim in the railing to keep it in place. 8)
77 530i
82 Alfa GTV6
81 323i (Sparky)
cpalmer

Post by cpalmer »

just what I needed to hear.

Thanks!
cpalmer

window motors fixed!!!!!

Post by cpalmer »

Just as an update-

Months ago, I switched the passenger side window motors and the front was not working, and I would rather have that working than the rear, (no sun roof in my 78'.)

So, the other day, the front motor went dead, so both windows were out on that side.

I yanked both and tested both of them and they were dead. Took off the plastic covers and sprayed with some good penetrating stuff, let them sit over night, manually moved them a bit as well. Banged them a bit with a soft mallet..

Well, yesterday morning, retested and they both worked!!!!

Of course, I had the time the last couple days to deal with it, but to have it go where I fixed BOTH windows, well, that rocks!

Once again, this site makes my 30 year old car worth all the little fixes as I can do them.

Rock on fellow 5vers......