Pulley removal

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

Pulley removal

Post by T.Hanson »

Is there a trick for removing alternator and power steering pump pulleys ?

Both spin freely, seeming to want to be stuck in a vice to use an impact wrench. If it's a tough nut, I'm not thrilled about tightening the vice on the pulley or jamming a screwdriver in the alternator fins.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

You called it, an impact wrench. It may seem counter intuitive, but you can hold the pulley against an impact wrench, it hits it hard and often, but doesn't impart much rotation. Use a rag maybe, but you can hold it. Now if you don't have an impact, I'd try using a box end wrench and hitting it with a hammer to give an impact effect. Not like the real thing, but it might work.

Or, if it's still on the car, put it in gear and adjust the belt tight, I've accidently loosened the alt nut more than once trying to turn the engine :oops:
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Perfect. Thanks. My mistake was using an angle, smaller impact wrench. Switching to the larger one ( get a bigger hammer ) zipped 'em right off. Right again, the pulleys didn't need that much holding.

If you're reading this, lots of grease between the PS pulley hub and bearing, where the circlip holds it in. Bearing seems fine, smooth spinning, sealed, so I don't see why anyone would pack the cavity, or grease would escape the seal.

In the car, before disassembly, I think the top hose/clamp was leaking. Small puddle around the nut of the top tube. Is that nut, tube, where it joins the pump body a leaker ?
Peter Florance
Site Admin

Post by Peter Florance »

I have seen that joint leak.
It supposed to be an inverted flare IIRC
Peter Florance
First Fives.Org - The E12 Registry
1981 E-Street Prepared Euro BMW 528i w/3.5L & Megasquirt Fuel Injection
http://www.firstfives.org
mailto:peter@firstfives.org