Organize the wiring

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

Organize the wiring

Post by T.Hanson »

Do the guru's, those experienced in restoration, have tips on their preferences for organizing previous owner's RAT'S NESTS in the wiring ?

Looking around the web I see black plastic (bellows) tubing in lengths, diameters for wrapping and taping or tie wrapping around the wire bundles. Solid vinyl tubing of different diameters.

Heat shrink tubing as an alternative to electrical tape. I don't see any way of returning any wires to a factory vinyl tube.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

If you want to retain a factory look, friction tape, available at your local hardware store is the stuff. If you're trying to put 10 pounds of you know what back in a 5 pound bag, split loom works well too, and you can go in after the fact too and stuff another wire in there, and my local hardware store sells it by the foot in multiple sizes. Sometimes I'll wrap with plain old electrical tape, but only the good stuff, Scotch 33 or 88, not the fifty cent a roll variety. The adhesive is marginal at engine compartment temps with the good stuff, but not even close to marginal for the cheap stuff.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

The answer to Cabbage F., my end game : learning, do it right as much as parts and persistence allow. If you or Mike appear from the mist someday, you will approve. Without much smurking.

Questions seeking easy answers before the hard way : ECU glovebox computers, '79 to '81 E12, E24 in my collection. There is a large black male plug on each harness. Must those ECU's (part numbers) match the basic harness ? I.e., the pin outs, before fooling around matching any wires to grounds, senders, etc.

Looking at the realoem exploded views, the line drawing is the same for all, the part numbers, besides," Good luck Bozo," say 1979 to yes.

Thank you,
Lenny D.

Post by Lenny D. »

More important to understand is the fact that E12s with L-Jetronic injection including closed-loop Lambda systems, '79-'81 will use the same connection design. I can post pics of pin outs from wiring diagrams if necessary but it's a PIA to get them on the 'net.

On a humorous note I could say 'smurking' is for smurfs. Unless Mike or Mr. Fumes are blue from the 'mist' I suppose they wouldn't 'smirk' at your work! :roll:
HTH

'80 528i