Rear seats creaking/rattling

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Hogzip

Rear seats creaking/rattling

Post by Hogzip »

I have an 1981 528i (beige interior). I've conquered most of the unwanted squeaks and rattles throughout the car, but there is a creaking sound coming from the back seat. I had the back seat removed (and put back in) by an upholstery shop recently, and I'm wondering if the seat back didn't get put back in correctly.

How do you get the rear seat back out? Are there screws/parts you have to remove/disconnect?

And any thoughts about re-installing it to mount it more securely? I was thinking maybe putting some spray-on rubber into whatever mounting bracket there is.

Thanks,
Brian Younger
262-672-0733
brian@youngersolutions.com
Hound Dog
Qwodracer

Re: Rear seats creaking/rattling

Post by Qwodracer »

Hogzip wrote:I have an 1981 528i (beige interior). I've conquered most of the unwanted squeaks and rattles throughout the car, but there is a creaking sound coming from the back seat. I had the back seat removed (and put back in) by an upholstery shop recently, and I'm wondering if the seat back didn't get put back in correctly.

How do you get the rear seat back out? Are there screws/parts you have to remove/disconnect?

And any thoughts about re-installing it to mount it more securely? I was thinking maybe putting some spray-on rubber into whatever mounting bracket there is.

Thanks,
Brian Younger

262-672-0733
brian@youngersolutions.com
Remove the bottom cushion. 3 bolts along the bottom center left right... then on the back cushion, there is 3 along the bottom and one behind the armrest towards the top. Then just slide the back cushion up

Could very well be they didn't get the "slide" back in to where it secures.
81 528ia black - semi-dd
92 BMW K75 - dualsport/cruiser
03 Chevy Silverado 1500hd - tow-rig/bad weather
84 Toyota celica supra - drift/autox/hillclimb duty
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/index.htm

Caution with sprays, they can be sticky, goopy, not quiet the squeaks and rattles,...etc.

As 35 year old cars have parts the same age, unless replaced with factory spec pieces correctly, stand by for spending time doing methodical detective work.

Door seals, latches, seats, backrest rubbing on the door panels, seat back hinges needing lubrication, seat belt workings,... my '79 has a rear seat bottom tab that remains in the air as part of the whole seat frame being sprung.

The original waxy green pads turning to shredded wheat dust, foam to crumbs, the steel springs using the space to move around, and squeak on themselves. Or is it the suspension bushings ?

Maybe roll the windows down for outside noises or play music loud.
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

My leather 5's have always had rear seat noise. Selective application of talcum powder.
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4