Tires

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

Tires

Post by T.Hanson »

I have read the manufacturer's warning tires should be replaced every seven years, no matter the tread wear. Unfortunately I have also read Michelin no longer manufactures any performance anything but grocery getter tires for our 14" wheels.
Not that I need the performance tread options, it just seems the grocery getter tread is embarrassing to the old M535 BBS Mahle wheels.

My excuse for not replacing the 16 year old tires. Always garaged, frequently removed, cleaned, closely inspected for tiny cracks in the rubber, any signs of the cords bulging.
None. Zero. No noises, feel funny. To have no concern at all running 65 on the freeway.
So what's the seven year manufacturer warning deal ?
toddness

Post by toddness »

The seven years is likely to reduce the liability of the manufacturer.

I'm a bit surprised to hear it's 7 years. My local tire shop won't fix or assist with a tire over 5 years old....
Domingo

Post by Domingo »

You want FRESH rubber, it's better and safer. 5 Yrs Max for change in my opinion.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Not that I always practice what I preach, but 16 year old rubber doesn't react the same as new stuff. I'm not enough of a chemist or physicist to really understand it, maybe the vulcanizing process keeps going, but the rubber changes as it gets older.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
PatinaBeforePolish

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Agree, I wouldn't drive on any tire older than 6 or 7 years, especially on the freeway.

Michelin still makes the original equipment MXV in a slightly taller 205/70 14 but I would bet the grip is no better than a modern all season tire, especially if you have stock suspension components. They're also about $250 each. I recently communicated with Michelin Classic who said there are no future plans to make an MXV in a 195/70 14 size.

Vredestein makes a high performance summer tread in a 195/65 14 and I just ordered a set. They're about 1/2 to 3/4" smaller in diameter (less tall?) so the speedo will read a little fast but with a stiffer sidewall and modern compounds cornering grip should increase. A smaller than stock diameter tire effectively raises the final drive ratio and (theoretically) improves acceleration.
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
RonDwyer

Post by RonDwyer »

I got a set of Kumho 14 inchers on a set of freshly painted steelies last summer from a guy in LA for a fire sale price. I like the way they feel. Now I need a master cylinder. It failed on the way home from the smog referee
Ron Dwyer
Milwaukee, Wi

14 Audi A8L TDI
03 530i
08 F150 4X4
Qwodracer

Post by Qwodracer »

When I bought my 5 last year it came with 2 snows dot mfg date 1988 mounted on like new wheels ... they wouldn't hold air, im assuming the bead and wheel has corrosion, they weren't cracked/rotted/bubbled... I poured a bottle of green slime into both and ran them all winter maybe 10k miles. And yes I do 80 on the freeway everyday.

It's your call. But yeah most shops won't touch antire over 5 years old. It's just a good policy to make a sale (recommendation). I have piles of old tires in my basement, I've never been afraid to run a 20yo tire on anything I owned. But I am also very cautious about potholes and curbs....

As far as the 14inch tires and performance options... it's a 70 series. Can't expect a lot from that much sidewall. My Supra (which has 14x8 rims) I run 225/60/14 bfgoodrich radial TA on the street, decent ride and grip, plus the tread has a vintage style too it. I would bet they fit and are close to same diameter.
81 528ia black - semi-dd
92 BMW K75 - dualsport/cruiser
03 Chevy Silverado 1500hd - tow-rig/bad weather
84 Toyota celica supra - drift/autox/hillclimb duty