clutch master cylinder replacement

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

night writer

clutch master cylinder replacement

Post by night writer »

i have the clutch master completely removed from the firewall, but the hydraulic line fitting has seized on to the old unit. i can't break it loose no matter what i try, and the hose remains tethered to the engine block. the next thing is to cut it. it is a short rubber piece of hose with two hard line fittings at each end, 15 inch. i can see where the hose connects to the hard line where it is attached to a bracket that is mounted on the block. if i cut the hose, where should i cut it? can it easily be replaced? i would like to salvage the original hose because it is in fine shape, the only problem is the fitting at one end that is seized. i assume the fitting itself can be replaced. if i could get it to a bench without damaging the hose, i am sure i can break the fitting loose, replace it, and re-use the hose. any suggestions? anyone with experience doing this job?

also, if someone could describe how the rubber hose and hard line are attached together, that would be helpful. i need to break this connection apart at the block to remove the hose without damaging it. thanks for any feedback.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

They can be a bear. They're set up like brake lines, the hard line "nut" turns freely on the line held captive by a double flare on said hard line. A flare nut wrench is invaluable for working on brake lines (or clutch) but sometimes even they slip.

They hold the nut on 5 points instead of 2 like an open end wrench. Past that or if it's stripped, a small 5" vice grips is probably the best tool.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Go to a NAPA or auto parts place for vice grips that have brake fitting jaws. Top is a V shape, bottom is rounded cam. I think there's a FAQ photo in one article or another.

Not that expensive, come in different sizes. I can't over stress what a great, perfect magical tool this is for loosening rust/welded brake, hydraulic fittings without boogering the nuts. The box wrench type are fine for nicey newy, otherwise get the vice grips.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

That's a nice tool that Mike suggested.

Why don't you just remove the line from the engine block? It's just a mounting tab and will give you more leverage to work on the hard line and flex line.

I just did mine two months ago and the hardest part was getting the right alignment of that hard line from the clutch slave so it didn't hit the underside of the car and wasn't in a funny position. I would turn it, tighten it, test fit the slave on those studs on the bell housing, pull it out, loosen, adjust hard line again, repeat. Finally got it to where I wanted, snugged the hard line to the clutch slave (because you can't tighten the hard line with the slave installed, it's too cramped!) and put her back together.
Adam Wilson
www.e12m535i.com
night writer

update: clutch master cylinder has been remove from the car!

Post by night writer »

i finally got it removed completely yesterday, and i have ordered a replacement. i completely mauled the fitting with vice grips but it is still usable so i am re-using it for now. i am sure putting it back together will not be easy. Does any one have any advice on the next step: the re-assembly process?
Adam W in MN

Re: update: clutch master cylinder has been remove from the

Post by Adam W in MN »

night writer wrote:Does any one have any advice on the next step: the re-assembly process?
did you read my post?
Adam Wilson
www.e12m535i.com
Andrew in Calgary
Site Admin

Post by Andrew in Calgary »

While I can appreciate your thriftiness, my suggestion is to not re-use the line. Apart from the booged nut, rubber hoses have a tendency to degrade over time and ultimately fail. A failed rubber clutch line is what had me driving home in rush-hour traffic without a clutch. Sure as shit, if you change out the master or slave without changing your clutch line, it'll fail in sort order out of pure spite.
"There is nothing that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." - Rio Sollway