Trouble shooting

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

T.Hanson

Trouble shooting

Post by T.Hanson »

Reading the posts on random misfire. Stopped by the local independent BMW service for parts. Not fully comprehending how old E12's are, or I am, I asked how many they see.

Zero. Cringe, good. Fine when they are running, just need maintenance, otherwise,...horrors.

Odd to me, as I find the old engine bays roomy, simple, M30's solid. What I obviously fail to comprehend is all current techs ( mechanics ) have mostly known the computerized fault diagnosis method. No offense intended, time marches on.

Saw a Mercedes with no dip stick, top loading oil filter.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Ah, that's the difference between real mechanics and parts changers. OBDII is a great help, but it is just one tool. The industry has always had lots of parts changers who would throw parts at it instead of troubleshooting it, so it's nothing new. Worse perhaps, but nothing new.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Lenny D.

A comment, if I may..

Post by Lenny D. »

This is not directed to anyone in particular.

A good friend (and fellow musician) is one of the top mechanics at our local BMW dealership with a long employment tenure there. He also owns and drives an E12 and an E28 (535i). I bring my car to him for jobs I have either not the ability, nor tools for, like lifts for front end work, underbody work, air impact tools, and of course, front end alignment, as there is no other place suited to accomplish this correctly. All the other jobs I have learned to do myself, thus saving me money well spent at the dealership for the jobs I choose not to do (there ain't many). The jobs I do choose not only involve routine maintenance, but now include the rebuilding, replacing, restoring of worn out parts due to age. At this point in the age of our cars, I sometimes find myself refreshing his memory, as there are no other E12s in this area, and if there are, they don't see the dealership. When I drop the car off overnight for one of these rare service visits, the salesmen, and interested staff peruse my car, often commenting, 'they don't build them like this anymore'. No, they don't.

The point I'm leading to is that if we are going to own, and reliably drive 30 year old vehicles, it is imperative that you 1) understand the systems' design in their entirety (read: obtain repair manuals, and if you run L-jet, the yellow Bosch book), and 2) understand how they apply in real life (your car). Then you are equipped to start diagnosing problems. Only then are you able to look at possible solutions to a particular problem, which can range from simple fixes to sometimes exotic, and sneaky, hidden failures. Mike is right, usually it boils down to simple things. But you have to understand this 'thing' is 30 years old. ANYthing could be wrong. If you have ever restored an automobile, you know where I'm coming from. Everything must be evaluated. So to say, "my car has a miss, what's wrong", is like asking someone to automatically know who you are, what you know (or don't know) about your car, it's history, and your maintenance history. All we can do is regurgitate information readily available with some real life comments. Sometimes it works, sometimes it can't possibly for numerous reasons. We wish you all good luck and success in enjoying this piece of history, but the older they get the more responsibility is on you, the owner, to understand your possession. That is your first job.
HTH

'80 528i
T.Hanson

Post by T.Hanson »

Perfect.

I wonder where the gallery members are, as the names change but the car remains the same. How many e12's are still around, how long parts will be available.

Figure a BMW mechanic age twenty five when e12's were new is now 55. How many are still in the service bay ?
Lenny D.

Post by Lenny D. »

T.Hanson wrote: Figure a BMW mechanic age twenty five when e12's were new is now 55. How many are still in the service bay ?
One....that I know of.... :wink:
HTH

'80 528i
Mike W.

Re: A comment, if I may..

Post by Mike W. »

Lenny D. wrote:This is not directed to anyone in particular.

A good friend (and fellow musician) is one of the top mechanics at our local BMW dealership...
Excellent points Lenny, while a good mechanic should know some troubleshooting, it's unreasonable to expect even a dealer to be an expert on something they haven't seen in 15 years. There's probably experienced mechanics out there that have never seen a points and condenser ignition system. :shock: Then there's those of us who wish they hadn't. :lol:
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Thank God for FirstFive members and parts cars.

My E12 has no dipstick, well, not in the tube anyway.
The stick lays up on the fenderwell while a large rubber cap sits atop the tube sealing that part of the engine from the vacuum leak. :)
Sherman

TexFest LSB&F V

95 525iT (Her DD)
92 ///M5 (????)
91 ///M5 (T donor)
88 ///M5 (Das Beast)
86 535i (Snob)
79 528i (1st 5er)