clutch issue w/e12 based 79 633csi

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

bgriff

clutch issue w/e12 based 79 633csi

Post by bgriff »

Hey guys....had to move my '79 6er out of the garage in a hurry yesterday so the garage opener could be repaired....I had just driven the car a couple of days ago and it was fine, however, I jumped in to move it and the clutch pedal went straight to the floor, no resistance at all, won't come up by itself....I had to get the car out of the garage so I cut the motor off, put the trans in reverse and hit the starter, of course it lurched out of the garage but then cut off and now she won't start at all. I had an appointment I was already late for so I just pushed her into a neighbor's driveway and threw a cover on til I can figure this out. The clutch in the car is essentially new, less than 200 miles on it....I'm thinkin it could be slave cylinder, but there were no leaks under the car when it was in the garage....what could be goin on, any ideas at all?? Thanks in advance....

Bob G
e12 based '79 6er
'85 6er 5sp
'85 6er Auto
keehn

Re: clutch issue w/e12 based 79 633csi

Post by keehn »

Bob, I would recommend that you check your brake fluid level. The hose that feeds the master clutch cylinder is higher in the brake fluid reservoir tank, so it would be affected before your brakes are.

You will also need to bleed the slave cylinder once the brake fluid is back up to proper capacity.

Mike
keehn

Post by keehn »

Bob,

As they say: A picture is worth a thousand words. This is what I'm talking about.

Mike
bgriff

Post by bgriff »

thanks Mike....brake fluid was low, I topped it off and now she won't start, I can get it to start and run just a few seconds then it just cuts off....sounds like it's trying, but no go. Car has been running fine until this issue yesterday, I think it has something to do with me trying to turn it over with the trans in reverse to get it out of the garage....she just cut off and won't restart....clutch is still on the floor, no resistance.

Bob
e12 based '79 6er
'85 6er 5sp
'85 6er Auto
keehn

Post by keehn »

I would check fuses next. Maybe the electrical load used to move the vehicle burned out other fuses???

If your engine runs for a few seconds, that is likely the cold start injector (injector that sits on top of the intake manifold log) that works, but your injectors themselves are not firing.

Again, check fuses. Also, there are relays (peruse the "Technical FAQ" of this site for details) that may have burned out? One check you can do is use a mechanics stethoscope, place it against any of the fuel injectors, and have an assistant start the engine (with the fuel pump relay disconnected). If you hear a rhythmic metallic tapping, then the injector is opening/closing. If not, then you should check voltage to the ECU via the fuse box, to start with.

Also, your clutch will not work until you bleed the slave cylinder. Filling the brake fluid reservoir alone will not eliminate the air bubbles still trapped in the system.

Please keep us updated on what you find.

Mike
bgriff

Post by bgriff »

thank you Mike….I'll let you know....

Bob
e12 based '79 6er
'85 6er 5sp
'85 6er Auto