1978 e12 trunk sunroof motor installation

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Dspoljaric

1978 e12 trunk sunroof motor installation

Post by Dspoljaric »

Hello all - does anyone have instructions on how to install the sunroof motor drive in the trunk of an e12? Today, I attempted to swap my tired motor for my new motor assembly. All going well until I got to the part where I could not figure out how to get the cable guide flange - that is seated in the designated slot of the gear housing - out of its position. You will note, in the pics below, that the large gear the drive the worm drive cable back and forth is secured by a large nut facing the inside of the trunk. I was not able to get this nut undone. How did the BMW techs manage a motor assemble swap? Thank you
Lock

Re: 1978 e12 trunk sunroof motor installation

Post by Lock »

I can't see you pictures, but I can say when I did mine a few years ago, I just swapped the motor itself in, not the whole assembly.

As I recall the motor is bolted in and connects with a keyed rubber/plastic drive connector, so once you unbolt it it will separate and you can install the new motor and plug it into the sunroof relay.
1979 528i - M30B34 with 9.5:1 B35 pistons, 5-speed conversion G260/6, e28 rear subframe, e34 LSD 3.9:1, glass sunroof, e30 elec speedo, cruise control