1980-83 e21 320i, oxygen sensor question

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Post Reply
tlake
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: WA

1980-83 e21 320i, oxygen sensor question

Post by tlake » Sun May 03, 2020 11:19 am

The 1980-83 e21 320i had the 3 way cat and oxygen sensor, but how did they do that with K-jet? How did they keep the fuel/air ratio at the 14.7:1 level precisely, when the fuel injection didn't have a computer :?:

User avatar
528i-1981
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 am
Location: Boston North Shore, MA

Re: 1980-83 e21 320i, oxygen sensor question

Post by 528i-1981 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:01 pm

The O2 sensor produces an electrical signal, so it has to be processed somehow.

This article mentions a controller of some kind that modulates fuel pressure through a valve that appears to be especially for K-Jet with lambda control :
http://cleanflametrap.com/kjetControlller.htm

I don't know much about E21s, and maybe you've seen this already. Just passing it along.

-Eric
(oo=00=oo) Eric
1981 528i Manual

tlake
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: WA

Re: 1980-83 e21 320i, oxygen sensor question

Post by tlake » Sun May 03, 2020 1:26 pm

528i-1981 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:01 pm
The O2 sensor produces an electrical signal, so it has to be processed somehow.

This article mentions a controller of some kind that modulates fuel pressure through a valve that appears to be especially for K-Jet with lambda control :
http://cleanflametrap.com/kjetControlller.htm

I don't know much about E21s, and maybe you've seen this already. Just passing it along.

-Eric
Thanks Eric, yes I was wondering about this, given the 528i/633CSi/733i use the L-Jet computer to handle this. But of course there were lots of late '70s cars with K-jet.

It must get the job done, but I wouldn't think it would be as accurate as using a computer to do the job. Funny how cars as expensive as the Mercedes 6.9 and Porsche 930 only had K-jet and the 1975-80 Beetles had L-jet :!: :)

User avatar
Mike W.
Posts: 2451
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Sonoma County

Re: 1980-83 e21 320i, oxygen sensor question

Post by Mike W. » Sat May 23, 2020 3:27 pm

E21s with O2 sensors used a frequency valve. It modulated the control pressure going to the fuel distributor which in turn controlled mixture.
Mike W.



1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter

tlake
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: WA

Re: 1980-83 e21 320i, oxygen sensor question

Post by tlake » Sun May 24, 2020 2:26 pm

Mike W. wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:27 pm
E21s with O2 sensors used a frequency valve. It modulated the control pressure going to the fuel distributor which in turn controlled mixture.
Thanks Mike, I always wondered how those cars worked, since the rest of the range had L-jet. :)

User avatar
Mike W.
Posts: 2451
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Sonoma County

Re: 1980-83 e21 320i, oxygen sensor question

Post by Mike W. » Mon May 25, 2020 2:00 pm

tlake wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:26 pm
Mike W. wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:27 pm
E21s with O2 sensors used a frequency valve. It modulated the control pressure going to the fuel distributor which in turn controlled mixture.
Thanks Mike, I always wondered how those cars worked, since the rest of the range had L-jet. :)
It was cheaper to use and was more than adequate for passing smog and decent performance, hence it's popularity.
Mike W.



1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter

Post Reply