Speedo cable drive oring replacement

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

maybeillbuyit

Speedo cable drive oring replacement

Post by maybeillbuyit »

Im currently working on resealing the Getrag 265 Im going to put in my 530. I pulled out the speedo drive from the transmission and according to realoem there are two Orings and a "bush" suppose to be on the drive. The big outer one is no problem to replace but there is an inner Oring that I dont understand how you get to it?
ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_306d by Dave Grayson, on Flickr

ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_306f by Dave Grayson, on Flickr

if you look at the end of the "Thing" with the o rings on it and in it, it looks like its suppose to be spun apart maybe? I havent had any luck. There is an oring in there but the part on Pelican looks like its a metal ring with rubber on it. Like the weird gasket washer that goes in the "Duck" gasket on the back of the head.
The oring and bush are parts 4, 5 in this realoem schematic. Part number 5 seems to be NLA. Anyone replace that Oring?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=23_0085
1977 530i another project
1979 635csi Euro "project"
1987 635csi
HB528i

Re: Speedo cable drive oring replacement

Post by HB528i »

On earlier cars like 2002 and e9 the housing is fiber and that little bushing fits up inside. It is a metal can with a spring and rubber seal. It needs to be pried out, destroying it in the process if needed. The fiber housings had a tiny hole next to this bushing, I’ve used a small drill to destroy it and pull it out. Hope this helps.
keehn

Post by keehn »

Hmmmm...

Because RealOEM shows a bushing present, I would suggest a hydraulic removal. Find a metal shaft of exact diameter of the speedometer drive, put heavy weight oil inside the hole, and press the metal shaft downwards. This should hydraulically force the bushing and ring up and outward.

Again, not sure diameter of the drive, but ServoCity sells various metric (and SAE) diameter steel rods meant for robotic applications. I have purchased from them and can vouch for the durability and precision of diameter of these rods. They are located at https://www.servocity.com/shafting-tubi ... l-shafting.

Hope this helps?

Mike
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

Well I managed to pop out the sleeve that is holding the seal inside the speedo drive housing.
I dont think the hydrualic method would work on this Mike , the housing is like a metal tube, there nothing to stop the oil from just coming out the other end.

I bend a small scewdriver and then tapped the sleeve out. ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3092 by Dave Grayson, on Flickr

Then I used the same screwdriver to pry and tap out the seal.
ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_308f by Dave Grayson, on Flickr

heres the housing after the sleeve and seal have been removed
ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3093 by Dave Grayson, on Flickr

New seal on order. Hope this helps for those that have leaking speedo drives. I've never seen any mention of this procedure before
1977 530i another project
1979 635csi Euro "project"
1987 635csi
autonoob

Post by autonoob »

It seems like this project has been keeping you busy. Hoping that everything will turn out find on your end, make sure to keep us progress.
Check out this wheel and tire packages that are great for your vehicles at home but even better for your wallet!