Center driveshaft support bracket removal on an Automatic?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

canada karl

Center driveshaft support bracket removal on an Automatic?

Post by canada karl »

I need to replace the support bracket. is it necessary to remove the whole driveshaft or can I disconnect it at the trans and slide the shaft towards the diff to install the bracket? Not the Quibo type as is an Auto.
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
Mike W.

Re: Center driveshaft support bracket removal on an Automatic?

Post by Mike W. »

It's on there pretty tight, you'll be driving it off, not sliding it off, so yes, you'll have to pull the driveshaft. The driveshaft is easy, it's the exhaust that you have to remove to get to the driveshaft that's the hard part.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
canada karl

Re: Center driveshaft support bracket removal on an Automatic?

Post by canada karl »

Hey Mike I won't be replacing the the hanger bracket until Spring because we are still deep in Winter up here but just thinking ahead. The hanger bearing that is on there now is completely gutted with just the outer frame remaining so I am thinking the original one had been removed at some point and was replaced with an aftermarket one that failed. Maybe an aftermarket one was installed ie. Uro? and was not very sturdy?
I also noticed in the parts diagram picture that there is supposed to be a heat shield there but that was missing as well....or iwas that just for the quibo type manual trans. Would appear that the rubber donut and bearing must have been chewed up and spit out and the PO never noticed? When I bought the car I drove it about 50 miles and never noticed anything unusual except for the odd clunking sound on acceleration. When I got the car up on a hoist you could see that the driveshaft was flapping around. :D
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car