Simultaneous a/c & heater?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

tlake

Simultaneous a/c & heater?

Post by tlake »

Playing around on my 1976 car, I found the heater remained on when I turned the a/c on. It switched from the fresh air fan (firewall) to the console a/c fan, but the heater was still working. This surprised me because I thought turning the a/c on would cancel the heater completely. This is an e12 with the separate factory a/c controls. :?

I did then turn the heater off when making this discovery. :)
canada karl

Re: Simultaneous a/c & heater?

Post by canada karl »

Let the AC and Heater battle it out. :lol:
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
tlake

Post by tlake »

canada karl wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:05 pm Let the AC and Heater battle it out. :lol:
Ha, ha, it did for about 5-10 minutes :!: :lol: Seriously though it created stratified heating, warm at lower levels and cool above.

I can't believe I am still getting surprised by these cars, lol. I still don't think I completely understand the car's heating and ventilation. :)
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

Yeah that does seem strange they would both be working at the same time. Make you wonder, is it suppose to do that?
1977 530i another project
1979 635csi Euro "project"
1987 635csi
tlake

Post by tlake »

maybeillbuyit wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:01 am Yeah that does seem strange they would both be working at the same time. Make you wonder, is it suppose to do that?
I guess it's because it's such an early car. It does cancel the heater/fresh air fan when you turn the a/c on, so I suppose it's working correctly. I haven't modified anything in this area. I just decided to experiment and was surprised when the heater stayed on (with the heating fully to the footwells).

I know there is a wiring diagram for early cars with a/c, which is in the BMW handbook and repeated in the Haynes manual. I suppose that would explain it. :?

I know the handbook says you must use the fan when the heater is on (to get rid of the heater core's heat). Of course that is from the European handbook which is assuming you don't have a/c. In my handbook it makes no mention of a/c, except a one liner in the back saying you could have a/c as an option, and it's also covered when showing the fuse box fuses.