Heater, A/C Controls total Rebuild

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Jcat

Heater, A/C Controls total Rebuild

Post by Jcat »

Am totally rebuilding my 81 528i climate controls. And, am wicked happy with how easy this is and how well it has gone. (would not be attempting this if I didnt have a couple of these to practice on; removing the flat nuts from the plastic studs without breaking them requires enormous patience). I will be posting photos and steps taken as I get through the process. Peter apparently attempted it, but not sure how he made out in the end as his FAQ in incomplete. (I Hope he sees this post) Heres the deal... The rotary knobs for fan and temp usually seize up over time, thus the rebuild. The seizing occurs due to a hardening of the grease protecting the controls moving parts over time. QUESTION: Now that I have the controls all cleaned up, I need some advice on the appropriate grease to butter up the contacts and lube the surfaces of the plastic rotary knobs, etc. I dont want to use something that runs when the interior of the car gets hot from the outside temperatures here in Atlanta. Certainly, the grease should be clear since instrument lighting at 1.2w has to pass through it. Thoughts?
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
Former FF Ambassador to Montvale
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Jcat

Re: Heater, A/C Controls total Rebuild

Post by Jcat »

Heater Controls ALL PARTS Large Medium.jpeg
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I used white lithium grease when I rebuilt mine. It's a relatively light grease, meaning thin, and since the problem is too much friction/stiction, I wanted something light. It's possible, but I don't recall any problems with light transmission thru it. I think drip point is around 200-230+ so that shouldn't be a problem. I think I've seen some synthetic greases that are clear and shouldn't be too heavy, but I'm not sure which ones. I would not use something like a HD wheel bearing grease.

That reminds me, IIRC I rebuilt a couple of spares and I should try to sell them.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

Hey Mike... Thanks for your reply. I understand that dielectric grease is not good for contacts. But I cant seem to find a clear grease out there that is conductive or specifically used for electrical contacts. Are my search criteria proper? All Lithiums seem to be white. Some synthetics are clear, but they seem to be dielectric. Is dielectric no good for this application?
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

A quick search suggests dielectric grease isn't generally used as a lubricant in the conventional sense. But if synthetic, it might be.

Pricey, but here's a clear grease, though I don't know how thick it is or isn't, but you might be able to search thru Q and A. Weird, I can't seem to post a link. So lets try an image, from Amazon.

Mike W.

Jcat

Post by Jcat »

How coincidental, Mike! I called the company earlier and was put on hold once I began to ask about the products properties. Had to hang up. Will try again tomorrow. Should it be a grease suitable for elec contacts? Any key questions to ask of them?
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Jcat wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:33 pm Should it be a grease suitable for elec contacts? Any key questions to ask of them?
It should be, grease is generally non conductive. Only question I might have is how thick is it. Intended application might answer that, for instance wheel bearings use a heavy duty grease. Disc brake wheel bearing grease even more so since it has higher heat to contend with.
Mike W.

canada karl

Post by canada karl »

Try 00 Lubriplate.
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

Hey Karl. Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used this in this application?
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
canada karl

Post by canada karl »

I haven't used it for heater controls but it is a cream like grease that looks like it is unlikely to get sticky and dry out. Just my thoughts there may e synthetic grease available that would do as well.
1976 530i. BMW 59 Triumph TR3A(rolling resto). 67 Triumph TR4A(salvageable). 86 900S Winter car
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

I just emailed Behr. I know... its a long shot, but I was able to give them the corresponding Behr part number for the complete assembly so this should improve my chances. Will report back soon.
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com