Windshield Replacement

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

richn123

Windshield Replacement

Post by richn123 »

I just had a tree break my windshield, need a new replacement and gasket.
Car is a 79 528i, repair is covered by insurance
I’m in San Jose CA

Rich Nedinsky
Mike W.

Re: Windshield Replacement

Post by Mike W. »

Not sure what your question is, but I'll weigh in with some of the usual issues.

Last I knew the glass was NLA from BMW. Replacements generally don't fit well. Many places now don't even want to do a gasketed windshield, they only want to do glue ins. Which is a shame, it's not difficult. E28s used the same piece of glass and the same rubber so with that chassis running into the '88 model year, there is better availability than there might be if it was only to '81. I'm not sure if factory rubbers are still available, but URO which is typically junk, seems to make a good rubber. I used one on my last E12 and it was just fine after 12 years.

Essential, flashing red lights, is a sealant must be used between the rubber and the body. 3M 08509 Automotive Bedding and Glazing is what you want. It's perfect. It's non hardening. I squeeze it in until it's oozing out, wipe it off, then install the lockstrip, and more will ooze out. Clean up with paint thinner, it won't harm automotive paint, it'll just strip wax off. There are some urethane glues that can work, but are less than optimum and you will destroy the rubber if you ever have to remove the windshield. And if they screw it up and it doesn't seal the first time, it's a PITA to get it out. I'm not saying it can't be done well with the urethane glues, but it's really not the right product.

If it's done right with the right 3M product, it will seal even with a less than perfect fitting windshield.

Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Mike W.

Re: Windshield Replacement

Post by Mike W. »

One more thing, don't even think about using silicone caulk/sealer. Often it works well at first, but then the seal breaks, it looks good, but leaks.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter