High pressure in-tank pump

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Lock

High pressure in-tank pump

Post by Lock »

I had issues with the suction line kinking and cutting off fuel so with inspiration from mye28 I replaced the in-tank lift pump with a high-pressure fuel pump. I bought this pump https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076LCYP77/ I also relocated the filter to the engine bay to be easier to replace. To deal with the larger feed pipe I cut it off and used JB-Weld and existing fuel pipe. The metal is too small to weld and while it's not quality, it works well. I didn't like the idea of using size adapters due to the risk of them leaking under pressure, either the weird OEM rubber piece or gas at 40psi outside the tank.
The pump isn't obviously high quality but this was a trial run and it's been 100% so I plan to replace it with a quality pump at some point (maybe when it dies?)

1979 528i - Sold
Mike W.

Re: High pressure in-tank pump

Post by Mike W. »

Using an intank main pump is very popular in the E28 world, which uses the same tank as 528i E12s.

Having used JB weld on gas tanks before that were leaking, it seems like it should hold up, but it would make me a little nervous. I'm pretty good with a torch and thin metals, but this is the perfect application for either brass brazing or silver solder.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter