Cv joint

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Frederich

Cv joint

Post by Frederich »

Just did cv joints on my 1978 530i: Used the Rein boot kits from FCP - # BKS0059R which replaced BMW #33219067912. After getting left side all changed out and ready to mount it was discovered that the two hole straps which reinforce the hex bolts would not lie flat against the metal flange of cv boot holder due to raised indentations between each bolt hole - this how they were designed where as ones being replaced were completely flat permitting straps to mate up for tight fit. I had to use individual washers on each bolt and not use original straps.
I imagine BMW had a purpose for straps - they are so stout not just thin tin - so in using individual washers what can I expect.
I wish I could impose pictures of the new cv with raised sections been bolt holes but don’t have the savy.
My other thought was to use metal part of old cv boots but had already mounted up all new boots and would lose all grease.
Good job gone bad !
HB528i

Re: Cv joint

Post by HB528i »

You can use the straps from a Porsche, they hook around and avoid the raised parts. All aftermarket kits have this issue.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

While I'm sure the gnomes of the Black Forest had a reason for what they did, I wouldn't stress about it. Torque it, forget about it, and I bet short of that 700 HP monster Zane built long ago, you won't have a problem at all.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Lock

Post by Lock »

I actually had to pull one of my CV joints off the wheel the other day. It looks to me like those straps are to hold the thin steel of the CV cover tightly and evenly against the hub. The CV joint is full of grease and has no seal on either side, so the straps apply even pressure on the edge of the cover to stop grease getting out, and water/dirt etc. getting in. Using washers, especially big ones, should have the same effect. As usual BMW has over-engineered things so being near-enough is ok.

As an aside I kept the old washer straps and have found lots of random uses them. Including raising door latch plates for a better fit. The holes line up perfectly with the screw holes.
1979 528i - Sold