Power steering fluid purge

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Frederich

Power steering fluid purge

Post by Frederich »

Having trouble finding diy info on how to change power steering fluid on E-12. Can I purge enough fluid by siphoning all fluid from power steering reservoir and replacing w/ fluid to top up. I don’t want to upset the lines if I don’t have to and end up w/ leak I don’t have now - which is what usually happens. Or is this waste of time without taking disconnecting lines. Haven’t found any good reference info to guide me.
Appreciate any help. I know to replace filter and to use atf fluid.
Thanks.
Mike W.

Re: Power steering fluid purge

Post by Mike W. »

Well, it would be more effective if you opened the hoses at the pump, but since you don't want to go that way do it like on A/Ts. Siphon the fluid out of the reservoir not once but 2 or 3 times to change most of the fluid. Obviously run it briefly inbetween changes.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
PatinaBeforePolish

Re: Power steering fluid purge

Post by PatinaBeforePolish »

Agree with Mike, just siphon it out and change it a few times. Also, there’s a filter at the bottom of the canister hidden underneath a plate. The filter is NLA from BMW but available in the aftermarket. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5560 ... gLx8PD_BwE
79 528i
76 530i - Stored since 1992, can it be brought back to life?
86 944- 2023 project
78 F150- Everyone needs a truck
Frederich

Re: Power steering fluid purge - follow up

Post by Frederich »

I found info on E9 site that the power steering pump has a drain plug - 9 mm hex set screw - that can be accessed by taking pump off its support,
allowing access to set screw and thus drain fluid w/o even having to siphon off the reservoir.
I’m wondering if I should fill with atf again and drain or if draining from lowest point on system is sufficient. Or just run some atf through system to pick up any old atf in lines ? Suggestions.
Thanks.