electrical

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

KenB

electrical

Post by KenB »

Hi, I've been trying to track down a slow battery drain for, uh, well, forever now. I know it's on fuse 5, but I've pulled door locks, dome light, trunk light, cig light, glove box light, hazard switch (and maybe others) and have not isolated it yet. Looking at the wiring diagram in Haynes, I see #89 is called "Plug 1"--this is just downstream from the fuse box. What the heck is "Plug 1" and where is it on the car?

TIA,
KenB
1980 528i
alotawatts

Post by alotawatts »

Does your car have an aftermarket radio/deck or alarm system....or any loose ends that might have been from one ? Look for added wire splices especialy around the cig. lighter element leads.
Don't know about plug 1
Three E12's and one R27
ImageImageImage
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

alotawatts wrote:Does your car have an aftermarket radio/deck or alarm system....or any loose ends that might have been from one ? Look for added wire splices especialy around the cig. lighter element leads.
Don't know about plug 1
It's an E34, but his was the aftermarket radio wired wrong.
Sherman

TexFest LSB&F V

95 525iT (Her DD)
92 ///M5 (????)
91 ///M5 (T donor)
88 ///M5 (Das Beast)
86 535i (Snob)
79 528i (1st 5er)
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi Ken, I have found that the haynes manual has a lot of things about it that are wrong. chances are there is no plug 1.

I also have an 80 528i, and it had many bad wires in it that were causing slow drain. The problem for me was that wire casings had become brittle, causing wires to short to ground. Considering that you have checked all the components and connections that there is most likely a wire shorting. Finding these can be very difficult, so make sure you have enuff beer before you start peeling apart you wiring. Good luck