Hello folks, still have the issue but i have some new information.
Oh i do have the appropriate spark plugs, they are expensive and hard to find. i dont recall the part#.
I will try the coolant temp sensor if this new info doesnt help me.
I am thinking that my fuel injectors are not firing off ...
Search found 38 matches
- Mon Sep 21, 2026 5:22 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Another no start issue
- Replies: 6
- Views: 7558
- Fri Aug 21, 2026 10:04 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Another no start issue
- Replies: 6
- Views: 7558
Re: Another no start issue
I used a vacuum line into the intake, while i sprayed a very flammable spray (brake cleaner-I think, it made quite a fireball when tested) into the intake while cranking the ignition. I have removed my cold start valve. It was starting pretty reliably before it mysteriously stopped. 
- Tue Aug 04, 2026 9:23 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Another no start issue
- Replies: 6
- Views: 7558
Re: Another no start issue
bump.
e12Looking for advice.
What are the next 2 things you would check for if you had fuel and spark and a no start on 1978 e12 530i?
e12Looking for advice.
What are the next 2 things you would check for if you had fuel and spark and a no start on 1978 e12 530i?
- Wed Jul 29, 2026 5:49 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Another no start issue
- Replies: 6
- Views: 7558
Another no start issue
Hello folks, hoping someone can point me toward a solution for a no start issue.
Car started as a stock 1978 U.S. 530i. I have since swapped in a m30b34 engine still using Jetronic and also put in a 5spd.
Everything went well got it running, got it re-registered and saftied, started acting up on ...
Car started as a stock 1978 U.S. 530i. I have since swapped in a m30b34 engine still using Jetronic and also put in a 5spd.
Everything went well got it running, got it re-registered and saftied, started acting up on ...
- Thu Apr 09, 2026 1:14 am
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Power windows and dash lighting out - wiring diagrams?
- Replies: 11
- Views: 48797
- Thu Jan 02, 2025 3:27 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: distributor timing
- Replies: 8
- Views: 112263
Re: distributor timing
Hello.
Got the closest to a "good" tune. But interesting note; the best tune yet, and i dont think im finished- i have all the ports blocked off as you(RobertB) aforementioned in an entry earlier! i think a little idle screw adjust might finish the deed.
Got the closest to a "good" tune. But interesting note; the best tune yet, and i dont think im finished- i have all the ports blocked off as you(RobertB) aforementioned in an entry earlier! i think a little idle screw adjust might finish the deed.
- Mon Dec 30, 2024 12:56 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: distributor timing
- Replies: 8
- Views: 112263
Re: distributor timing
Thanks for the reply. I did get it going. It was semantics and i think lucky tuning before.
"Reading is Fundamental" I read it dozens of times and was looking at the wrong thing. :roll:
I was aiming up notches and all kinds of things to the number one spark plug.
NOT the #1 spark plug terminal ...
"Reading is Fundamental" I read it dozens of times and was looking at the wrong thing. :roll:
I was aiming up notches and all kinds of things to the number one spark plug.
NOT the #1 spark plug terminal ...
- Thu Dec 26, 2024 5:09 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: distributor timing
- Replies: 8
- Views: 112263
Re: distributor timing
Ok guys here a bit more of the puzzle.
I have gotten the couple of leaks and hose routing done now to fine tune the engine.
I think i have the timing off just a couple degrees. Do i need to re TDC to re-enter (change) the distributor?
Im hoping i can just re-engage it without pulling the headcover ...
I have gotten the couple of leaks and hose routing done now to fine tune the engine.
I think i have the timing off just a couple degrees. Do i need to re TDC to re-enter (change) the distributor?
Im hoping i can just re-engage it without pulling the headcover ...
- Fri Dec 20, 2024 3:29 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: distributor timing
- Replies: 8
- Views: 112263
Re: distributor timing
yes. thanks.
i literally tdc'd the engine at least four times (without vefrifying it), thinking i HAVE to get it right eventually.
I took off the valve cover and verified tdc, and it fired rright up! Runs terrible, but we have life.
Can you illuminate where the vacuum lines off the vacuum advance ...
i literally tdc'd the engine at least four times (without vefrifying it), thinking i HAVE to get it right eventually.
I took off the valve cover and verified tdc, and it fired rright up! Runs terrible, but we have life.
Can you illuminate where the vacuum lines off the vacuum advance ...
- Thu Dec 19, 2024 6:29 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: distributor timing
- Replies: 8
- Views: 112263
distributor timing
Im completing an engine swap.
m30b30 to m30b34.
I need a complete explanation of resetting the distributor timing.
I think you have to have the little notch(scratch) on the distributor body pointed at the #1 spark plug and have the engine at tdc.
when i do this the large distributor vacuum thingy ...
m30b30 to m30b34.
I need a complete explanation of resetting the distributor timing.
I think you have to have the little notch(scratch) on the distributor body pointed at the #1 spark plug and have the engine at tdc.
when i do this the large distributor vacuum thingy ...
- Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:05 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: e12`s are awesome
- Replies: 18
- Views: 205898
Re: e12`s are awesome
I still check-in here weekly or so.
Since you guys are speaking on seats at the moment, i was just outside troubleshooting a pair of seats out of a 1986 535i. They are the power comfort seats. The question; has anyone successfully installed these in an (1978) e12? I have some donor seats from a bmw ...
Since you guys are speaking on seats at the moment, i was just outside troubleshooting a pair of seats out of a 1986 535i. They are the power comfort seats. The question; has anyone successfully installed these in an (1978) e12? I have some donor seats from a bmw ...
- Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:25 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Door lock actuator motor
- Replies: 4
- Views: 12052
Re: Door lock actuator motor
euro bump
- Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:38 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Battery Isolators
- Replies: 4
- Views: 10004
Re: Battery Isolators
"Chuckle" - Funny, you mentioned battery size. This is not the "called for" size of the battery either. I had the correct battery, old and i didnt know its history, but what became the biggest issue was it was a tad small for the battery box. and i had a battery hold down installed to keep battery ...
- Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:28 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Battery Isolators
- Replies: 4
- Views: 10004
Re: Battery Isolators
Hey guys, here is a shot of my cut-off setup. Its pretty simple, but seems functional to date. I have a parasitic draw somewhere so i cutoff battery power whenever parked for a few hours or more. Also a inline fusible link on the battery cable.


- Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:39 pm
- Forum: Tech Forum
- Topic: Door lock actuator motor
- Replies: 4
- Views: 12052
Door lock actuator motor
Hello
I went for my weekly "warm-up" start(78 530i). All good -starts fine. did nothing, except opened and closed the sunroof and sprayed a bit of lube on the cables. While the car is warming up
Came back about two minutes later and saw smoke. I thought no biggie - exhaust or something burning off ...
I went for my weekly "warm-up" start(78 530i). All good -starts fine. did nothing, except opened and closed the sunroof and sprayed a bit of lube on the cables. While the car is warming up
Came back about two minutes later and saw smoke. I thought no biggie - exhaust or something burning off ...