Chrome corner mouldings on front and rear windows, how to remove without bending?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

keehn

Chrome corner mouldings on front and rear windows, how to remove without bending?

Post by keehn »

Friends,

As I research on how to remove Eleanor's front and rear windows to replace the weatherstripping, I want to make sure I preserve...not bend, the corner metal mouldings.

Referring to Numbers 5, 6, 10, and 11 - the little metal bits that live in the corners of either window glass.

I saw one for sale on eBay and luckily, the seller showed a photo of the backside, which appears to have inward bends...maybe 1-2mm in depth on all edges (except for the two that run parallel with the chrome moulding). It would seem that if I work a flat plastic stick underneath one of the flat edges, I might be able to gently pry it upwards? Also, I suspect that, to install, I would simply work the piece on from one side to the other, flexing the weatherstripping underneath so the inward bends will catch on a groove in the weatherstripping.

How does my reasoning sound? Has anyone done this job before and have any lessons learned to share?

Thank you all!

Mike
HB528i

Re: Chrome corner mouldings on front and rear windows, how to remove without bending?

Post by HB528i »

You can gently pry it out or pull the plastic trim near it first, install is the reverse.