HELP: Water Valve Replacement

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Jcat

HELP: Water Valve Replacement

Post by Jcat »

In preparation for my trip up to “The Vintage” (now postponed once again) in Boiling Springs, I have discovered the need to replace the leaking water valve on my 81 528i. This 64111359634 part is NLA. BUT... Absent anyone in this forum stepping forward to sell me one, I wonder why I can’t use part 64111360820. Surely one of you guys have already dealt with this very problem. Please share your expertise. I patiently await.
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
Former FF Ambassador to Montvale
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Mike W.

Re: HELP: Water Valve Replacement

Post by Mike W. »

Without having one in my hand, the -820 sure looks the same. Schmiedmann says they can get the -634 one though. Not cheap, but not much different in price than the -820.

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/catn-ol?q=64111359634#
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

Thanks, Mike. You are a loyal source dedicated to us all when lost. I keep forgetting about Schiedmann. I’ll reach out to inquire as to availability. (I’m so curious as to the poss application of the x820, tho). But it’s no small task to possibly learn the hard way since the part is found in the bowels of the firewall. Will report back once I hear back from Our friends in Germany. Thanks again for pointing me that way.
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

Well, Shmiedmann, as it turns out does not have one and cannot get it "at this time". So, I guess I will investigate 64111360820 as an option. Stay tuned, Mike. Let me know if you have any other thoughts on this puppy.
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

Ok. I've learned a lot. When entering my VIN into Real OEM, it indicates that the correct Water Valve part nr for my car is 6411 1359 634. I just visually confirmed on two separate valves (one a used 77 530i and the other is NOS in Greece that I purchased on ebay) that part nrs 6411 1359 634 and 6411 1360 820 are BOTH cast into the two Water Valve bodies. Furthermore... when searching Real OEM and entering in the x634 nr, I find that this part number is found on US 528i build "TYPES": 3991, 3993 and 3995 from 77-July81. Also, Real OEM, indicates that I have a "TYPE" 3995 build. That tells me that x634 is correct for my car. This is important because when entering x820 part nr into Real OEM, it indicates that NO US 528i's are equipped with this part nr. In conclusion, I believe Real OEM is inaccurate. By virtue of the fact that I have personally seen both x634 and x820 cast into two different Water Valves, and the fact that the visual inspection of each suggests they are identical, they must be just that, IDENTICAL. So, if, like me, you cannot find a NOS x634 anywhere, you may want to search for the x820, despite the fact that Real OEM indicates that it is not correct. Certainly, I will not know for sure until the dash is pulled and the entire heater core replaced and water system rebuilt. In fact, you may wish to wait to see how I made out before launching head-first under your dash. I will be done this year, so stay tuned.
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

I recently replaced my heater control valve and I bought 64111360820. If you go to my project posting in "gallery" you can see my old valve and it has both the part numbers you mention. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5482&start=45
This info is towards the last page of the project thread. The old valve that came out of the car didnt have little clamps on the sides of the valve while the new part did have little metal clips around it. Possibly to help stop the plastic case from cracking and leaking. Im not sure about that . I seem to remember something about different part numbers for cars with and without AC but it turned out the valve were the same. The new valve is in and working fine... And not leaking :shock:
This post helped me. http://www.firstfives.org/faq/heater_va ... valve.html

I would suggest having advil standing by as you may have a sore neck doing this job. I did. :roll:
1977 530i another project
1979 635csi Euro "project"
1987 635csi
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

Thanks a million Dave. Incidentally... the BMW shop said that the dash has to come out in order to replace the heater box. They think that you replace both the box and valve. Thoughts? also... did you remove your driver seat to make room? I'm 6-3, so I think thats a must if I'm going down, so to speak. (do you think I can do this in one day... and yes, I'm handy) I love your pictures. This is EXTREMELY helpful to me. Thank you!! Wondering if you would mind holding my hand when it comes time to tackling this (not soon). A few days ago, I ordered a NOS valve w/o the clamps on ebay from Greece. Should be here in two weeks. I figure that if my original valve lasted me 300K, another 300k for this NOS part should be long enough. Its the tiniest little leak, but it drives me nuts to have a leak at all, ya know. Let me know if yer ok with a phone call when I decide to dig in. I've owned her since 84 and she's my baby of the 3 cars I own.
Attachments
20210329_134744.jpg
20210329_134744.jpg (95.15 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
20210323_181813.jpg
20210323_181813.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Take the dash out? That's crazy talk. And an invitation to all sorts of troubles.

Between E's 12, 21 and 24 I've done about half a dozen of these things. It is a PITA but you do not have to take the dash or the heater box out. You will need a 9MM combo wrench, and a ratcheting 9MM can help too. It's a tedious job laying on your back with virtually no room to work. Getting the nuts started is the worst part and while you should use the factory locking nuts, having a spare or two on hand just in case you lose one is a good idea, I think I lost one once. It's a job I don't seem to get better at with practice, I just know what's coming more. And don't forget to use new O rings. I've got skinny fingers, if you have fat ones the job will be that much harder. I have never taken the seat out so I can't say if it makes a difference, though it might.
Mike W.

Jcat

Post by Jcat »

Good to hear from you, Mike. I spoke with the tech today and he acknowledged that if we were only replacing the valve, no need to remove the dash. He scoped the heater box and found a leak in the heater core, so its got to come out. The new one just arrived from Germany. Do you thing the heater box can be replaced without removing the dash, Mike?
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Jcat wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:12 pm Good to hear from you, Mike. I spoke with the tech today and he acknowledged that if we were only replacing the valve, no need to remove the dash. He scoped the heater box and found a leak in the heater core, so its got to come out. The new one just arrived from Germany. Do you thing the heater box can be replaced without removing the dash, Mike?
Yes it can. I know, I've done it.
Mike W.

Jcat

Post by Jcat »

Well, Deputy Dog! I want to know more, but right now am embroiled in tax returns. I'll circle back to you, Mike. Thanks a million. Best. --jp
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

Jcat wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:16 pm Thanks a million Dave. Incidentally... the BMW shop said that the dash has to come out in order to replace the heater box. They think that you replace both the box and valve. Thoughts? also... did you remove your driver seat to make room? I'm 6-3, so I think thats a must if I'm going down, so to speak. (do you think I can do this in one day... and yes, I'm handy) I love your pictures. This is EXTREMELY helpful to me. Thank you!! Wondering if you would mind holding my hand when it comes time to tackling this (not soon). A few days ago, I ordered a NOS valve w/o the clamps on ebay from Greece. Should be here in two weeks. I figure that if my original valve lasted me 300K, another 300k for this NOS part should be long enough. Its the tiniest little leak, but it drives me nuts to have a leak at all, ya know. Let me know if yer ok with a phone call when I decide to dig in. I've owned her since 84 and she's my baby of the 3 cars I own.
In answer to your question, I had the front seat out and the pedal box removed as I was in the middle of putting in the manual pedal box with the 5spd swap. Having the pedal box out really helped as I could get my head right in there to see what was going on . Its really just 4, 6mm ( I think)nuts that need to be removed. It took a while but its not super complicated. My neck was sore afterwards,LOL I'd be happy to help you any way I can. Really with a lot of these jobs I've found is: Just start doing it. You'll find out as you go how things are going. Take your time and don't be in a rush. PM me if you want and we could chat if you want.
1977 530i another project
1979 635csi Euro "project"
1987 635csi
Jcat

Post by Jcat »

Thank you Dave. Fortunately the leak is not serious. I dont need boots to drive the car. I'll circle back when I schedule the replacement. I really appreciate your offer to guide me.
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

The nuts are 9MM locknuts. IIRC one time I just bought a ratcheting combo wrench just for the job and it helped a little.
Mike W.

Jcat

Post by Jcat »

Sorry Mike. Help me with "IIRC". And to be sure I am understanding what you mean by ratcheting wrench... is the is kind of like a box-end wrench that when turned one way it tightens, flip it over and it loosens. click, click, click?
J Prothero
Roswell, GA
1981 528i stock
Jprothero600@gmail.com