Replacement A/C Compressor

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

gmonsen

Replacement A/C Compressor

Post by gmonsen »

Anyone know where to get a replacement a/c compressor? OEM or aftermarket?
Mike W.

Re: Replacement A/C Compressor

Post by Mike W. »

I don't know about new or rebuilt, but for used https://car-part.com/ is always an option. They currently have a bunch of listings although some of them are for York compressors so you do have to do some screening. And I would not use one from a 7 series as the climate control runs the A/C seemingly all the time.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
tlake

Post by tlake »

gmonsen wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:07 pm Anyone know where to get a replacement a/c compressor? OEM or aftermarket?
I recommend you contact Mesa Performance Parts. I got my compressor (new SD508) and mounting plate from them.

Mesa Performance

These guys have been going since 1978, I have dealt with them for 20 years. I really recommend the Sanden compressor over stock, it's way lighter, doesn't affect the car's power at all, and is very reliable. The guys at Mesa know e12s, e3s, e9s, 02s. They keep a stockpile of e12 and e3 parts, although that must be dwindling by now. Great people to get the moveable dash vents from.
HB528i

Post by HB528i »

The e12 uses the same bracket and compressor as the 74 e9, it is an axial compressor and impossible to find. I have a spare that I can have rebuilt with all new seals and bearings by the same guy that rebuilt mine. If you go with a Sanden style you will need a new bracket as the original bracket doesn’t have a provision for the mounting ears on the Sanden style compressor. If interested mine is $500 fully rebuilt plus shipping.
gmonsen

Post by gmonsen »

HB528i wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:59 pm The e12 uses the same bracket and compressor as the 74 e9, it is an axial compressor and impossible to find. I have a spare that I can have rebuilt with all new seals and bearings by the same guy that rebuilt mine. If you go with a Sanden style you will need a new bracket as the original bracket doesn’t have a provision for the mounting ears on the Sanden style compressor. If interested mine is $500 fully rebuilt plus shipping.
Hi, and thanks. Is the spare you have a BMW compressor or an SD508? Asking solely out of curiosity. I will take it either way. :)
tlake

Post by tlake »

HB528i wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:59 pm The e12 uses the same bracket and compressor as the 74 e9, it is an axial compressor and impossible to find. I have a spare that I can have rebuilt with all new seals and bearings by the same guy that rebuilt mine. If you go with a Sanden style you will need a new bracket as the original bracket doesn’t have a provision for the mounting ears on the Sanden style compressor. If interested mine is $500 fully rebuilt plus shipping.
That was the good thing about Mesa, the M30 mounting stuff came with the SD508 compressor.
HB528i

Post by HB528i »

Mine is a Bosch BMW axial compressor used from 1974 thru 1981 only. Turn around time for the rebuild is about a week.
gmonsen

Post by gmonsen »

Great... I sent you a PM.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

My limited dealing with Mesa have been very good, so that's certainly an option.

I'm fond of the old swashplate compressor, they have served me well for many miles. They were used into at least 83 and maybe some in 84 although some used different hose fittings, but the block for them is just an allen bolt so they are easily interchangeable. I've never used one of the Sanden units although they get good reviews.

It's always a crapshoot with 40 year old parts, but I would lean towards the original because it works well and is an easy, direct replacement with no bracket or hose changes.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
gmonsen

Post by gmonsen »

Agree, Mike. Fresh rebuild with fresh hoses and couplings and a good shot of R12 and we should be good. I don't go crazy for really cold temperatures.
gmonsen

Post by gmonsen »

HB528i... Did you get my PM?
tlake

Post by tlake »

Mike W. wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:54 pm My limited dealing with Mesa have been very good, so that's certainly an option.

I'm fond of the old swashplate compressor, they have served me well for many miles. They were used into at least 83 and maybe some in 84 although some used different hose fittings, but the block for them is just an allen bolt so they are easily interchangeable. I've never used one of the Sanden units although they get good reviews.

It's always a crapshoot with 40 year old parts, but I would lean towards the original because it works well and is an easy, direct replacement with no bracket or hose changes.
When I bought my kit from Mesa, it had all the stuff to mount the SD508, including the SD508. I don't know who they got to make the M30 mounting stuff, but it worked.

Yeah, the old compressors work, but the Sanden takes no power at all, and is so much smaller and lighter. I am using R134a, I also swapped to the Vintage Air parallel flow condenser, which was cheap (still around 140 bucks) and has worked now for 19 years. Mounting that was easy, using the stuff that came with it, and the top mount clamps from the stock Behr condenser, I just turned them the other way :!: Practically a direct swap, and mounted a slimline fan. I think Robert Bondi also used the Vintage Air condenser in 14x20 in size.
gmonsen

Post by gmonsen »

FYI: Mesa no longer offers the SD508 or the mounting kit. They also lost their rebuilder, though looking for another. Had no suggestions for me.

EDIT: Jim at Mesa has a mounting kit for the SD508.
HB528i

Post by HB528i »

Gordon, Message just sent.
gmonsen

Post by gmonsen »

HB528i wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:50 pm Gordon, Message just sent.
The private messaging system here must be pretty slow. I haven't received it yet, but look forward to it. :)

Gordon