Steering play - Pitman arm or center tie-rod?

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

bizz

Steering play - Pitman arm or center tie-rod?

Post by bizz »

Hi all,

It's been about 5 years since i've visited - I have just dusted off the E12! Hope everyone is well.

I have isolated a small amount of play in the steering where the center tie rod meets the Pitman arm

I assume that it's more likely that the center tie rod would need replacing, however I also noticed that I couldn't see parts 10/11 (dust cap, washer) on my current assembly. Are they likely to affect performance of this joint? i'll order them regardless - hoping to hear if anyone's experienced issues at this point?

Thanks,
Ben
1976 528
Mike W.

Re: Steering play - Pitman arm or center tie-rod?

Post by Mike W. »

If you have play at that joint, yes, it would be the center tie rod, and they are something of a weak link.

I believe the other parts, dust boot etc, have always been included when I've replaced the center tie rod. Always bought aftermarket so BMW may not include them.
Mike W.

1980 528i, 3.5 euro, 5 speed conversion
1981 528i, 3.6, Recaros and more. Project
1998 328is, quick and efficient, but not satisfying
2000 528iit, Vacation mobile/wife's grocery getter
bizz

Post by bizz »

Thanks Mike
1976 528
tlake

Post by tlake »

bizz wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:56 pm Hi all,

It's been about 5 years since i've visited - I have just dusted off the E12! Hope everyone is well.

I have isolated a small amount of play in the steering where the center tie rod meets the Pitman arm

I assume that it's more likely that the center tie rod would need replacing, however I also noticed that I couldn't see parts 10/11 (dust cap, washer) on my current assembly. Are they likely to affect performance of this joint? i'll order them regardless - hoping to hear if anyone's experienced issues at this point?

Thanks,
Ben
Welcome back :!: I might be wrong on this, but were you doing a manual 5 speed conversion on your car :?: Maybe someone else. :)