1978 bmw 530i:
How can I determine if I have a bad shock or a bad strut bearing. I have a right front clunk over pot holes at low speeds. Shop has quoted me
$ 3500.00 to replace shocks, strut bearings, inner & outer control arm bushings. I have read up on this site and others on the clunk issue, but want
a way to diagnose bad shock from bad strut bearing putting aside all other suspension maladies. I don’t want to throw 3500.00 to fix everything
When I just have bad shock.
Bilstein B6-34-003268 prices range from 168.00 to 300.00 ea. Strut bearings @ 450.00 ea.
What’s fair price to pay for labor to replace shocks.
Might be to physical job to take on myself.
Any suggestions appreciated
.
Front Suspension help
-
John in the Glade
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:42 pm
Re: Front Suspension help
Not an expert, but I’ve replaced shocks, struts, springs, wheel bearings and stuff.
Your question is diagnosing; I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with honest mechanics who would advise me what needed changing. You’ve already paid the price and got a HUGE quote. Depending on, that amount can exceed the value of the entire vehicle. In my case, I did my own work, and later had the garage inspect it.
In YOUR case, you should talk with the shop about what they can avoid replacing. For better profit, garages will quote replacing everything. Most will have a 100% markup meaning they get a part for $30 and charge you $60. The more parts, the merrier, . . . plus labor.
So, ask them for some help. Some will accommodate, others (depending on financial desperation) will not.
Sorry I can’t be any more help.
Good luck.
Your question is diagnosing; I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with honest mechanics who would advise me what needed changing. You’ve already paid the price and got a HUGE quote. Depending on, that amount can exceed the value of the entire vehicle. In my case, I did my own work, and later had the garage inspect it.
In YOUR case, you should talk with the shop about what they can avoid replacing. For better profit, garages will quote replacing everything. Most will have a 100% markup meaning they get a part for $30 and charge you $60. The more parts, the merrier, . . . plus labor.
So, ask them for some help. Some will accommodate, others (depending on financial desperation) will not.
Sorry I can’t be any more help.
Good luck.
-
Theotherotter
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Mon May 15, 2023 6:16 pm
Re: Front Suspension help
I've experienced both - in both cases it was obvious to me what the problem was, though in only one case can I remember why (a bad shock - my Saab doesn't have struts). Try jacking up that corner and putting some force on the top of the spring/strut assembly - either moving it with your body weight or with a pry bar. If you can get any movement in the strut assembly, it's the upper mount.