Page 1 of 1

Low and High Beams Intermittently Switching Off

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:41 am
by darrylrevok
My '78 530i has been my daily driver for just over 2 months now. It seems that the fuses for the right low and high beams aren't making the greatest connection as they intermittently switch off and I have to pull over, open the hood and wiggle the fuse and they'll immediately switch on.

I am missing the cover for the fuse box, and will be getting one shortly. I'll try some sandpaper on the contacts to see if that will make a difference. Are there any other alternatives to make a better connection?

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:49 pm
by Mike W.
I would use a small toothbrush sized wire brush or a nylon scotch pad, not sandpaper. Bend the clip to retention it also. I've even seen some guys put cable ties or large rubber bands or O rings over them to keep them tight. A cover is a start though.