How do I determine the BHP of my 3.5, any visual clues.

Post your E12 technical questions and comments here. Please, no off-topic posts.

Moderators: Mike W., Pierre

Mark

How do I determine the BHP of my 3.5, any visual clues.

Post by Mark »

Hi,

I have Blair Wreschers old E12 with the 3.5 litre conversion. I know he told me when I bought the car it has the euro spec 3.5 which should have 218 bhp, how can I tell. My head has 86 stamped on it, im guessing that may mean it is a 1986 engine. Ive heard the piston shape determines the output, ie dished is US spec with 182 bhp, and a slight step on the piston top may mean the euro spec with the 'full beans' 218 bhp. Is there any other way I can tell, without putting it on rollers,
On this web site, in the feature on the 2.8 to 3.5 conversion it says that 1985 onwards engines have 212 bhp, but further down the page it says to get a 1987 and onwards for the 212 bhp. My car is motronic,

Thanks,

Mark.

Thanks,

Mark
stewart in slc

Engine VIN

Post by stewart in slc »

I'm by far not an expert but I think there should be a vin on the motor that would tell what motor it is exactly.

my .02
stewart
T.Hanson

HP

Post by T.Hanson »

There are Google sites and books on big six history. Serial numbers, etc.

Being a pragmatic old grouch, I'm curious why you are curious. 218 or 212 is six, and if you said 250 at the picnic, who'd know ?

Or, say 200 and win by five lengths.